What Is With Some Poeple

Digga

Quote from the guardian

"There are fears that more riders will die this week on "mad Sunday", when all-comers can try the mountain course. "

How misleading is that.

I think for their own sanity the owners of the house should move somewhere a bit quieter, I am sure they did not know when the bought the house that its location was not very perfect for 2 weeks of the year, maybe estate agents should point this one to customers in the future and advise them to buy a house a street back maybe, we have to remenber we have been brought up with the races and people drowning from boats etc and its just a way of life to us Islanders, but the people who have recently moved over just dont understand its someone we have to put up with, like the price of milk/bread its something we just accept and maybe its not a good thing.

I just hope they dont move to the Blackboard or the fairybridge or the old castletown road they could find a dead body there any week of the year.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newspapers and their journalists are very well aware of what attracts people to buy and read their articles. A well-moderated article with genuine balance and a non-sensational headline is unlikely to attract the attention of the average reader - and by that, I mean the kind of people who contribute to this forum, among others.

Words such as 'death,' destruction,' carnage' and 'mayhem' have, regrettably, become the common currency of today's journalists, editors and sub-editors but, before we rush to condemn them, perhaps we ought to take a look at our own standards.

Although I'm no longer a Guardian reader, I think it remains one of the least sensationalistic daily newspapers and it's unfortunate that, in the case of the TT it's coverage so often appears to be based on long-held prejudice and an outdated view of the island and its people.

Just for those 'cashing in' comments,

Firstly we have received no money from the Guardian, The Manx Independent, Manx radio or TV or anyone we have talked to. money was never a consideration for us in pursuing this issue. Eddie Nelson ACU rep has been in touch regularly and been very supportive. Eddie did offer me flowers, (and I know you won't mind me saying this Eddie) but we agreed that I would accept your best intentions and donate the flowers elsewhere. Thanks Eddie your kindness alone made a difference.

Archived