Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370

Nom de plume

We already have a news filter. We get told what we're allowed to know and the real juicy stuff isn't for public consumption.

Let me just save some time here.

Skeptical MF User: "And your evidence for this is what?"

Lx^3: "I haven't got any, it's just a flippant post obviously."

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We already have a news filter. We get told what we're allowed to know and the real juicy stuff isn't for public consumption.

Are you for real? What he said isn't even a controversial statement. The list of things the media didn't report, despite knowing at the time, or distorted or glossed over because of a political bias, is too long to even go through. I suggest you watch Noam Chomsk's documentary, Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media, which features a number of examples of exactly what LXXX was referring to.

Are you for real? What he said isn't even a controversial statement. The list of things the media didn't report, despite knowing at the time, or distorted or glossed over because of a political bias, is too long to even go through. I suggest you watch Noam Chomsk's documentary, Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media, which features a number of examples of exactly what LXXX was referring to.

May I disrespectfully suggest you don't bother watching Notable Chumpski but instead apply a little bit of logic of your own, Start by realising that very few people bother watching, listening to, or actually reading 'The News.'

That already small number has decreased over the years as each new generation comes complete with a shorter attention-span than its predecessor.

Therefore, in order to get any kind of audience for any kind of information media, the whole thing has to be simplified almost to the point where it's like a comic-book presentation.

Education of the short attention-span generations is only achieved by repetition.

Education of the short attention-span generations is only achieved by repetition.

That means that the story needs to be told, and repeated, in a variety of different and 'interesting' ways if the listeners/viewers/readers are to understand it. This is nothing new - the newspapers have been aware of it for a very long time and it's why their stories have been simplified so much - it's why the likes of the Mail, Mirror, Sun, Star etc are so successful, because they know their audience.

So, when you want to know why major news outlets are selective about the stories they highlight, you have two options.

The first is to go racing down the blind alley of the conspiracy nuts until your face smashes, inevitably, into the blank wall at the end of it.

The other - given that we have greater access to information about what's happening than at anytime in history - is to search for more information on whatever it is that's of interest to you and not to leap to ridiculous conclusions that, because the details aren't complete and unedited, it's because of a desire to hide everything rather than someone making a somewhat lazy assumption that if the great majority of people aren't interested in the story, no one is.

I bet you were head boy in your class.

I bet you gave head to your teacher.

I bet you gave head to your teacher.

Obviously a flippant post.

Thanks for the compliment, but it's not that difficult to spot your MO.

Thanks for the compliment, but it's not that difficult to spot your MO.

Which is?

Archived