Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370

Nom de plume

Searchers have found the Wings. Unfortunately, Mr and Mrs Wing say they don't know where the plane is.

^There's Wing.

Blame Lonan for making me remember this interesting singer.

Of course, the walls have eyes so you want to be careful with your theories on this flight.

Remember that people have also reported the phones are still ringing etc.

NK doesn't have phone coverage apart from at the border (Chinese cell towers)

4 hours engines give a range of maybe 2000 miles if the speed is 500mph average, the 777 cruises at 562mph according to Google so 3000 miles is feasible.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a misleading piece of information. Just because you can hear the number ringing at your end does not mean that the recipients mobile is working. I am 99% certain that this can happen when a phone it not within range of a network. The ringing phone therefore would not prove that the plane landed somewhere else.

It's been explained in one of the articles I read, the ringing noise you hear is actually "faked" by the network operator while it tries to find the phone / connect the call etc. It's to stop you hanging up before the network finds the phone.

I think this is a misleading piece of information. Just because you can hear the number ringing at your end does not mean that the recipients mobile is working. I am 99% certain that this can happen when a phone it not within range of a network. The ringing phone therefore would not prove that the plane landed somewhere else.

So the plane supposedly changed direction and flew for hours into the Indian Ocean towards...... Diego Garcia, the home of a naval base belonging to the worlds most technologically advanced military superpower.....and we're still supposed to believe no-one picked it up via satellite??

I'd be inclined to agree, if it wasn't for the fact that most mobiles will instead state dialing until the phone starts ringing. At least, every phone I remember owning does.

Plus, there's the talk of the engines chattering back to base for a few hours.

It seems like a cover up for something. It could just be Malaysian Air trying to save face.

I'd be inclined to agree, if it wasn't for the fact that most mobiles will instead state dialing until the phone starts ringing. At least, every phone I remember owning does.

Plus, there's the talk of the engines chattering back to base for a few hours.

It seems like a cover up for something. It could just be Malaysian Air trying to save face.

That while your handset connrcts itself properly to the network. If you have no signal your handset will still say dialling until it realises it cannot connect to the network. Therefore it is nothing to do with the recipients handset ringing.

If emerging reports of a further 7 hours of flight are correct (albeit somewhat inconsistent with what the normal fuel load for that flight) then it might complicate the eventual investigation as the CVR only records the last 2 hours.

Re satellite gubbins, lots of FUD. A Boeing/FAA AD refering to potential cracks around a satellite antenna refers to equipment not fited to this aircraft. However it did have other satellite antennae, and it sems as if, even though the satellite ACARS option may not have been taken up by MH, all the equipment is still installed and it would still do SATCOM pings regularly, but the sat systems would not initiate full contact as it hadnt't been paid for.

Correction: It seems as if 7 hours flight would be possible with some assumptions as to normal levels of reserve fuel.

Summary from pprune post, reproduced below (due to the active moderation, posts get moved around quite a lot, seemingly even the "perma"links). Uncertainty over the SATCOM-derived location information seems to be due to the fact that the comms don't include co-ordinate details and they are working off either timing or signal strength information from a single GEO Intelsat.

A quick update to keep us focused:

Official Confirmed

01:07 Last routine engine data transmission
XX:XX ACARS disabled
01:17 Sign off Subang ATC
01:21 Xpndr switched off (near IGARI)
01:21 Malasian military PSR picks up MH370 at IGARI
XX:XX MH370 moves towards VAMPI and then towards GIVAL
02:15 MH370 turns towards IGREX and is lost on Malasian military PSR
08:11 Last ACARS handshake signal detected

Official Unconfirmed

08:11 A/C somewhere between border of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan to northern Thailand
08:11 A/C somewhere between Indonesia and the southern Indian ocean

Unofficial Unconfirmed

XX:XX Altitude excursions at IGARI of unidentified PSR target (leak, via NYT)

Rumors

Everything else

Summary from pprune

08:11 A/C somewhere between border of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan to northern Thailand

Conspiracy theorist stuff.

I'm sure there's loads of secret/classified ex-soviet era airbases up in the 'Stans that could take a 777 easily. They could have landed the whole plane and have 200 odd hostages up in the hills by now.

This whole thing is starting to read like a plot from a James Bond film. Like Thunderball perhaps it might be found in shark infested waters off the Bahamas covered by a big camoflage sheet?

Summary from pprune

Conspiracy theorist stuff.

I'm sure there's loads of ex-soviet era airbases up in the 'Stans that could take a 777 easily. They could have landed the whole plane and have 200 odd hostages up in the hills by now.

This whole thing is starting to read like a plot from a James Bond film. Like Thunderball perhaps it might be found in shark infested waters off the Bahamas covered by a big camoflage sheet?

If it was hostages they were after, they'd have piped up by now. They could be gutting the plane for parts, selling them, disposing of the hostages/witnesses and the airframe itself will never be seen again.

They could be gutting the plane for parts, selling them, disposing of the hostages/witnesses and the airframe itself will never be seen again.

So you think its gypo's then not terrorists?

I have to say that I love the idea of this being done by a shadowy network of international scrap metal dealers. Maybe we'll get a Sky broadcast from Dr Evil the head of SMERCH - the Scrap Metal Emergency Recovery and Cutting up Hidout asking for One Hundred Billion Dollars mmwwaaahh ....

They could be gutting the plane for parts, selling them, disposing of the hostages/witnesses and the airframe itself will never be seen again.

So you think its gypo's then not terrorists?

I have to say that I love the idea of this being done by a shadowy network of international scrap metal dealers. Maybe we'll get a Sky broadcast from Dr Evil the head of SMERCH - the Scrap Metal Emergency Recovery and Cutting up Hidout asking for One Hundred Billion Dollars mmwwaaahh ....

There is a big market for grey market aircraft parts. They tend to be very expensive, and budget airlines that aren't regulated by the EU will save money where they can, even if they don't know the history of the part....

Archived