Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370

Nom de plume

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expecting a couple of perfectly preserved Muslim passports to wash up any day now or a perfectly preserved Putin fingerprint to be found on the wings

Although on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, the muslim passports would hardly be a surprise.

The barnacles ought to help. Growth will indicate how long the wreckage was in the sea, and species might well give a rough indication of locale. I'm not sure whether the isotopes of various elements vary across the Indian Ocean in the same way that they vary for land-masses, but if so, that could provide a virtual recording in the shells of the crustaceans of where they have been on their travels.

They have not confirmed the part was from the plane yet, right? Serial numbers etc.

Stuff has been washing up on the island for a while, but no one really noticed much .. so a bigger part happens to turn up, from a plane, the same type that's missing, but they cannot conclusively confirm it's part of the missing plane.

Some say, yes, it's part of the plane, experts say they are not convinced.

I know where I'd be looking to for a few more answers yet.

Under it.

If you mean the main concentration of wreckage, and the flight recorders in particular, then I agree. A tall order, though. At least with AF447 they had a good idea where the aeroplane went in. I understand that Malaysian Airlines have confirmed that mods or marks applied to the structure that has been found correspond with their maintenance records. The serial numbers are probably concealed inside the structure, so the French BEA probably need to proceed very slowly, doing whatever they need to do with the intact structure before they start cutting in to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived