Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370

Nom de plume

The whole thing is completely implausible. The US military has a large naval base in Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean and once they got wind of a rogue plane in the skies within that geographical area I am certain they would have their military satellites tuned in within seconds and would have pinpointed an unidentified plane pretty sharpish. This is the most technologically advanced superpower on the planet and they wouldn't allow a rogue airliner to be roaming around where they have military bases.

I know what you are saying but I think you are giving too much credit to the World Police or any other countries military surveillance capabilities.It may work like that in the movies but not in real life just yet. The problem is humans, they are not that good at stuff like this.

I agree. Which is precisely the reason militaries worldwide spend billions a year on technology, to do things that humans can do but better and quicker. If the US military feared an airliner had been hijacked and was potentially flying over the Indian Ocean towards a highly strategic naval base, especially in light of the heightened sensitivity militarily at the moment, I would be astounded if they weren't on it in a flash. I don't think that's giving them too much credit, it's exactly what they spend billions a year for.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Australia has an over-the-horizon military radar system that has an official range of 3,000km (so probably a lot longer in practice). It's turned off at weekends because of budgetary constraints.

That's the reality of the panoptical military surveillance myth.

We're not talking about Australia though. We're talking about a military that has more spent on it that the rest of the world combined. They have bases to the east of the hijacking (Diego Garcia), a permanent occupation of Afghanistan to the north-west, a large base to the east in Guam and a base in Japan to the north-east. Pretty much every direction surrounding the hijacking. Someone somewhere knows something but the public and the families will be the last to know.

@Domino Excactly. Why not charter a freighter and have it fly direct to where you want your cargo to be picked up.

Possibly because making people fearful is a key part of terrorism? It makes governments over-react and people then allow them to introduce oppressive laws? I've no idea how easy it is to charter a jet for a terrorist group and/or by a terrorist who probably hasn't got a proper license?

WebRep
currentVote
noRating
noWeight

There does seem to be a massive overestimation of what mass surveillance governmenst are capable of

Remember that movie in the 90s "Clear & Present Danger" where the CIA was capable of watching by sattelite, terrorists running around a training camp and eavesdropping on their communications ?

Yet a few years later right under their noses a large terrorist group pulled off a multiple hijack on 911

Top military leaders probably spend billoins on hardware which is nothing like a clever as the salesmen make out, then are obliged to keep quiet as to how shite it is to avoid being sacked

Remember, there are 6 or 7 billion people on the planet, watching all of them at once is impossible.

Look at something like flightradar24 (http://www.flightradar24.com/20.14,110.84/4) and you see how it's feasible that a plane could slip through unnoticed. Remember this site only contains planes with the latest and greatest tracking tech along with enough ground stations.

I propose a competition, everyone post their pet theory on what happened and where the aircraft is

The storyline of lost was actually true, and is occurring right now, only with majority chinese rather than white americans.

Gah, beaten to it!

I propose a competition, everyone post their pet theory on what happened and where the aircraft is

>The storyline of lost was actually true, and is occurring right now, only with majority chinese rather than white americans.

Gah, beaten to it!

You're not kidding! Ali Baba on Post No 38 got there first!

The whole thing is completely implausible. The US military has a large naval base in Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean and once they got wind of a rogue plane in the skies within that geographical area I am certain they would have their military satellites tuned in within seconds and would have pinpointed an unidentified plane pretty sharpish. This is the most technologically advanced superpower on the planet and they wouldn't allow a rogue airliner to be roaming around where they have military bases.

Maybe already been shot down by USS Vincennes?

TBT.

The other hypothesis is that they have tracked it, they know where it is, but the scenario is too scary to leak to the media as yet.

Even the papers are playing it down now and its starting to look a bit like a media blackout. Its entirely plausible that the Americans and Chinese know exactly what is going on but don't want to bring us into the loop yet.

The other hypothesis is that they have tracked it, they know where it is, but the scenario is too scary to leak to the media as yet.

Even the papers are playing it down now and its starting to look a bit like a media blackout. Its entirely plausible that the Americans and Chinese know exactly what is going on but don't want to bring us into the loop yet.

You ought to be careful, eyes and ears everywhere...I think you're right though.

You ought to be careful, eyes and ears everywhere...I think you're right though.

I'm not sure I get the secret squirrel warning stuff. Its a perfectly rational hypothesis. I'm sure its being discussed all over by many. I have no wish to think it might be true.

Agreed.

Archived