I thought our tax was low?

doc.fixit

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but the next £10,000 they pay 20% and we pay 10%. And are allowances for a married couple wholly aggregated in UK as ours are?

£10,000? Are you sure?

Yes our 10% band is £10,000, more or less, give or take

Ah right, I was reading it wrong, I thought from the way the guide was written that the 10% band was only up to £10,500 (so only 10% for £1000 earnings). That's great, as a self employed person subcontracting I've been getting walloped for 20% on everything most of this financial year. They'll definitely have to give me some back. For once :)

Yes, but the next £10,000 they pay 20% and we pay 10%. And are allowances for a married couple wholly aggregated in UK as ours are?

Hi John,

that may well be correct but as older, OAPs we are quite a bit worse off. The last pension rise took us just a fraction over the tax threshold which meant that we pay almost as much tax as the rise, ( I think we actually got about £8 a year). We also lost half of our over 65 tax relief and also lost the 'bonus' of £400, even if inflation isn't taken into account we are considerably worse off over the last year and as prices go up we actually, physically get less income so we are just a little disgruntled and I may add worried.

Would you believe we have never, ever claimed any benefits?

I'm afraid I really can't be pleased in these circumstances and no I have no intention, ever, of leaving the island.

Archived