Mad Sunday

Mission

Okay, here it is then, yet another Mad sunday.

I've just been out in and around Ramsey for the last 90 minutes. Pretty busy down here now, not very nice weather for it though. Lots of bikes already at Parliament Square, not so many down on the Mooragh Promenade though.

As I was going up May Hill, there seemed to be a big gathering of bikes by the mountain warning sign, don't know if there was an accident up ahead or whether someone is spacing the traffic up as it goes over the mountain.

I've also just had a look at the Snaefell webcam at the bungalow and there appears to be a load of traffic cones in the road up there - what's that all about then?

Anyway, over to you lot, post up anything you've done, seen or heard today.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And don't forget to check the webcams:

Snaefell Cam: http://www.dotet.co.uk/bungalow/b4.html

A18 North bound Cam: http://www.dotet.co.uk/bungalow/b3.html

(Snaefell Mountain Road at the Bungalow)

Laxey Valley Cam: http://www.dotet.co.uk/bungalow/b2.html

A18 South bound Cam: http://www.dotet.co.uk/bungalow/b1.html

(Snaefell Mountain Road at the Bungalow)

Stav.

they 'ave been puttin cones up there for years for the purpose of causing a bottleneck to slow people down for the tramlines as lots of the Bikers fail to slow down for the junction up there and come off :ph34r:

Road is closed from 1.15 racing starts at 2.00 B)

Wasn't the superbikes race cancelled yesterday, and going to be held today?

Yep, it's due to start at 2:00 pm today Mo.

they 'ave been puttin cones up there for years for the purpose of causing a bottleneck to slow people down for the tramlines as lots of the comeovers fail to slow down for the  junction up there

Ahh right, I've never been round the course on Mad Sunday so I didn't know that.

Wasn't the superbikes race cancelled yesterday, and going to be held today?

Yep, it's due to start at 2:00 pm today Mo.

they 'ave been puttin cones up there for years for the purpose of causing a bottleneck to slow people down for the tramlines as lots of the comeovers fail to slow down for the  junction up there

Ahh right, I've never been round the course on Mad Sunday so I didn't know that.

they started that about 5 years ago and the first time i came across them it was a bit of a :o moment as i did not expect the road to become 1 lane wide :ph34r::o and had to carry out abit of a manouvre :lol:

Just in from a lap. Mad Sunday - best day of the year!!

First, saw the unveiling of the Steve Hislop memorial up above Port Jack, which was unveiled by Geoff Duke. There was a good crowd there too.

Well worth a look if you're passing that way, up on Strathallan Road above the 'Electric Railway' sign on the cliffs.

Racing today seemed better than ever with good crowds, probably due to it being a non-working day and so more locals out.

I've noticed that more people are staying until the very last riders are through, rather than get up and go once the first few big names have passed by. And giving each well deserved applause too!

TT - It's looking good for the rest of the week.

Long live the TT :)

As I was driving to my marshalling post I witnessed a biker crash right in front of me, helped him out and the police took him to hospital relatively ok.

What i do know is that mad Sunday would be a lot better if all the xxxxxxx xxxxxxs in sports cars stayed the hell off the road - they are out there killing people and scaring the xxxx out of the rest of us. If I hadn't been going to marshal I wouldn't have gone over the mountain.

What i do know is that mad Sunday would be a lot better if all the xxxxxxx xxxxxxs in sports cars stayed the hell off the road - they are out there killing people and scaring the xxxx out of the rest of us. If I hadn't been going to marshal I wouldn't have gone over the mountain.

Don't tar everyone with the same brush Rhumsaa. I drive a sports car (of sorts) and I am extremely considerate to other road users - especially bikers. It could be said that there are idiots out there riding high powered bikes.

I do think that it does become more hazardous with 4 wheel vehicles as well as bikes, but the road (and day) is for everyone. Personally I have a problem with camper vans, buses and minibuses that choose to go over the mountain on Mad Sunday - but I don't feel that strongly about it.

Can you clarify for me when someone in a sports car has actually been killing people this TT please.

The bottom line is no car should really be going over the mountain for the same reasons that the mountain is one way - to reduce accidnts

A big van or similiar is better suited as it is nothing more than a mobile chicane, a car trying to race along with the bikes going faster than some and slower than others then using all the road for corners and generally having less awareness of the road and bikes. Yeah everyone is different etc but I doubt most people can cope with the volume of bikes in their mirrors and blind spots while overtaking on a racing line at 80mph...

"Mad Sunday" is a bikers day as far as I am concerned.... cars on the mountain are just a danger.

Archived