Farage bottles it?

Chinahand

I think we can expect some pretty sour grapes on the BBC and other left-leaning media outlets today. The dirty tricks brigade will be out in force now.

ETA: Already happening... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2635680/Top-BBC-editor-brands-Ukip-racist-sexist-Twitter-News-channel-boss-accused-bias-hours-election.html

The media industry is infested with these metropolitan, latte drinking, middle class 'feminazis' with posh educations; usually married to rich bankers and stockbrokers, and living in parts of London that ordinary people can no longer afford. They've no experience of the lives of most women, or anyone who's not part of the London-centric elite. But it's not just them; it's the whole new political and media class. I couldn't believe the comment of one of the Radio 4 Today reporters this morning, who said (and I kid you not), that the reason UKIP hadn't done so well in many of the London boroughs was that Londoners are multi-ethnic and 'better educated'. It's why people like Paxman are leaving the BBC.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The media industry is infested with these metropolitan, latte drinking, middle class 'feminazis' with posh educations; usually married to rich bankers and stockbrokers, and living in parts of London that ordinary people can no longer afford.

This sounds like divisive hyperbole to me. BTW Mr Farage is a privately educated former commodities broker and the son of stockbroker.

I couldn't believe the comment of one of the Radio 4 Today reporters this morning, who said (and I kid you not), that the reason UKIP hadn't done so well in many of the London boroughs was that Londoners are multi-ethnic and 'better educated'.

Better educated people tend to be better off and therefore to be less disgruntled and reactionary. They are perhaps also more likely to take a broader and more considered view.

The media industry is infested with these metropolitan, latte drinking, middle class 'feminazis' with posh educations; usually married to rich bankers and stockbrokers, and living in parts of London that ordinary people can no longer afford.

This sounds like divisive hyperbole to me. BTW Mr Farage is a privately educated former commodities broker and the son of stockbroker.

>I couldn't believe the comment of one of the Radio 4 Today reporters this morning, who said (and I kid you not), that the reason UKIP hadn't done so well in many of the London boroughs was that Londoners are multi-ethnic and 'better educated'.

Better educated people tend to be better off and therefore to be less disgruntled and reactionary. They are perhaps also more likely to take a broader and more considered view.

"broader and more considered view" what a patronising statement to make

I am "well off" left school at 15 , someone you may consider less well "educated" than you , however I do employ 'well educated folk', and ,to be fair, some are competent biggrin.png , others couldn't run a bath.

Pongo's language is typical of the left leaning PC brigade to be found in their droves in the civil service and other state institutions. Patronising drivel is their stock in trade as they try to portray an intellectual superiority complex over others who don't subscribe to their 'world view.' Everyone who doesn't agree with them are 'fascists' and they fail to grasp the irony of it all by rubbishing every other view bar their own and won't entertain any reasonable form of debate as it's beneath them.

Fair comment Lxxx, despite my lack of "education" I acquired a "post graduate diploma" (in 'management studies') .

As a result I learned that many with "degrees" were not terribly bright and that watching "the Godfather" and reading Machiavelli would have probably been more worthwhile …….lol biggrin.png .

I remember having to tell someone with Pongo's attitude that when using a screw driver it was "lefty loosey , righty tighty " (when he asked how to loosen a screw).

Pongo's language is typical of the left leaning PC brigade to be found in their droves in the civil service etc

The UKIP is way to the left of me. And probably way to the left of Farage for the most part too. He has said many times in interviews that he is essentially a libertarian. The UKIP voters are very clearly not at all libertarian - being essentially all about economic and social protectionism.

Ah………... but how "well educated" are these immigrants …………….could Pongo be persuaded to let us have the benefit of his thoughts on the matter?biggrin.png

Well-educated enough to vote. This is how we're seeing the rise of little 'enclaves' in towns like Luton, power-bases as in Tower Hamlets and the East End. Oldham, Rochdale, have all been affected by the gradual increase of immigration and the politcial influence gained by importing your voters.

UKIP's (and Farage's) success, IMO, was guaranteed and has shaken the 'Establishment' who've excluded the average voter for years with policies of wilful obfuscation and disdain, pausing only for sound-bite, cliche and tokenistic gesture ( similarities with here!) So wrapped-up in an apparently untouchable, safe little creation of their own that they under-estimated the threat to their existence and political will. This threat can only increase as UKIP's success will motivate the 'fence-sitters' who were swayed by the portrayal of UKIP as nationalistic-racists by the media (see, 'Establishment') and declined to vote for UKIP on that reference.

Ah………... but how "well educated" are these immigrants …………….could Pongo be persuaded to let us have the benefit of his thoughts on the matter?biggrin.png

Pongo doesn't care how well educated they are because as far as he is concerned it is none of his business. He expects however that they are likely to represent a typical cross section. He takes a laissez-faire attitude to economics in general and therefore to the economics of immigration specifically. He has no tribal allegiances whatsoever.

UKIP's (and Farage's) success ...

... is mostly in the reporting. Lets keep this in perspective. In reality they have probably come in 4th - just ahead of Other.

This threat can only increase as UKIP's success will motivate the 'fence-sitters' who were swayed by the portrayal of UKIP as nationalistic-racists by the media (see, 'Establishment') and declined to vote for UKIP on that reference.

They will be effectively gone within a decade. Like all other single issue fringe movements. Some think that Mr Farage could end up as Tory leader - but there might not be room for both him and Boris. And he might not want to deal with the realities and compromises associated with actually being in government and having to make policy (as opposed to jokes and rhetoric).

@pongo...

It may well be gone in a decade but what do you imagine will replace it? There seems to be a shift in the political-dynamic; what will ensue remains to be seen but UKIP, for now, are the sugar in the petrol tank of what's being driven presently. I forsee a subtle shifting to the right in the 3 major parties, there'll be a surrepticious band-waggoning of some of Farage's leanings, especially regarding Europe.

It may well be gone in a decade but what do you imagine will replace it?

I don't think anything will necessarily replace it. People will continue to blame the EU and immigrants for their lives and the political parties both in the UK and on the mainland will likely increasingly pay lip service to the idea of reforming the state institutions. But mostly govts will continue as best as they can to muddle-through doing whatever is best for the markets (accepting that for the most part economies are cyclical anyhow).

I do not believe that either the UKIP nor any of the other parties have a clue what to do about a world in which there will be too little work to support the way of life which most people expect. The cost of living is unsustainably high and yet the markets are not going to accept import or currency controls.

I expect the UKIP to peak and then decline like all other 4th parties. And I do not see them having much of a post Farage future.

Archived