Breaks Whilst Working

dooahhdoo

Are there any employment laws on the Island designating what rest breaks should be given to employees?

I used to work for a government department under whitley council rules and I believe we worked 2 hours and had a break of 10 mins, then a further 2 hours required a longer break (probably wrong as it was long ago).

Is there any law stopping me from employing a 16 year old and paying him minimum wage and working 8 hours solidly without giving him a decent break?

Cant find any info on gov.im website as if you mouseover business on the left and then guidance for employers it takes you to the job vacancies :rolleyes:

Is there any law stopping me from employing a 16 year old and paying him minimum wage and working 8 hours solidly without giving him a decent break?

Yes. I think from memory you have to give a 10 minute break for every 5 hours worked and a 30 minute break for every 7 hours.

Something like that anyway, it's in the employment law handbook.

It's a good point to raise...

I know my office enforces no breaks other than lunch

There may well be health and safety things but they are often ignored (by staff as much as anything)

It depends on the timing of your lunch as to whether they have to legally allow one. If you work 9-5 and your lunch is at 1, they don't have to give you a break because neither period is over the maximum allowed.

Normal DSE practice encourages people to take a few minutes every hour if they're doing intensive work, particularly computing or repeated tasks.

That's what I was thinking of - that whole must look away from your PC screen thing...

all those HR videos weren't a waste!

Found a bit more info here.

It was specifically for a shop worker (sorry forgot to mention it as I did not think it was relevant) and the Government state :-

1.8 Shop workers

1 The written statement of a shop worker who commenced employment after the

19th November 1985 must contain a statement that he is not obliged to work:

• for more than 5 hours without an interval of at least 30 minutes.

• for a total number of hours, exclusive of intervals allowed for meals and rest

in excess of 10 hours in any 24 hours; or 44 hours in any week.

An employer may face possible prosecution and, on conviction, a fine of £2,500

for including a contractual obligation that contravenes these rules

Archived