Clarkson in Trouble Again - Has The World Gone Mad?

Racist: One who hates another person because of his/her race. That's it. Not all the other multifarious meanings attached to it by political correctness over the years. How does using the word nigger in a children's nursery rhyme equate with that? Having said that though the idea of Clarkson supplicating himself is mildly amusing.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We used this rhyme as kids (almost 40 years ago) when picking teams or who was 'it' or whatever. I seem to remember that even then we used the word 'nipper' - as in a baby/toddler. 'Nigger' has only come back into use with gangsta rap and Quentin Tarantino films as far as I can tell.

But you have acknowledged the use of the 'N' word is now unacceptable and as such substituted it with 'nipper' exactly as Clarkson should have done, by mumbling it to me makes it clear that he thought it was unacceptable to say it out loud, he should've gone a step further and substituted the word entirely.

Racist: One who hates another person because of his/her race. That's it. Not all the other multifarious meanings attached to it by political correctness over the years. How does using the word nigger in a children's nursery rhyme equate with that? Having said that though the idea of Clarkson supplicating himself is mildly amusing.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Firstly, let's ditch this misunderstanding you have that there isn't a problem unless there someone hates or dislikes someone because of race. That racism is all about these nasty racists and their attempts at being insulting. That's not how it works.

Most of the racism in our society and most of what is damaging isn't just the actions or behaviour of consciously-aware racists trying to attack people.

It can manifest in more significant ways by simply having someone make some comments to others about...black people or asian people and their attributes simply out of complete ignorant prejudice. Yet such comments maintain an incorrect understanding of people because it centres on the colour of the skin.

Racism is a simple thing to understand. But you have to take your learning from more than some media rag or not just form an idea of racism that sits comfortably with you.

Racism is oppressive behaviour (speech, actions, and even understandings) of other people based on the colour of their skin. The issue of intentions is completely irrelevant.

And do you actually know what political correctness is and why it is encouraged? Certain forms of language cause demonstrate harm regardless of the intentions of the speaker. Political correctness is a way of trying to encourage other language that don't cause harm. I can't see anything wrong with that. If it wasn't for that, there would be a higher prevalence of oppressive language. That's not a good thing given how divisive it is.

Now, you might have examples where people go overboard, but these aren't common.

This seems to be a very simple matter. The rhyme has racist content - it uses the word 'nigger'. That word has oppressive power when used by white people and is why we don't use it and are encouraging not to use it. He decided to use that rhyme when it wasn't necessarily.

He did something wrong.

The only remaining issue is what his thinking is when he decided to use the rhyme. He isn't THAT stupid to think he wouldn't get in bother, so why say it?

TJ is wrong too. The issue isn't about offence. There needn't be even one single person who called in to complain. It's all about understanding the historic meaning of the word and the effect it has.

I watched the Kwai show but completely missed his 'slope on the bridge' quip until I saw the complaints about it later. Genius.

The sad thing about this is that someone on his team, someone he trusted sold him out. That's the unforgivable bit to me.

Brown was a popular colour when I was a kid (60's). I remember my Ma taking me into Ernest Kelly's on Prospect terrace to buy me an outfit, a 'twin-set' as it was known.

The ruddy-faced Mrs Dobson asked what colour she was after and without hesitation my Ma replied, ''nigger and fawn!''

A terrible way to talk about cardigans....

TJ is wrong too. The issue isn't about offence. There needn't be even one single person who called in to complain. It's all about understanding the historic meaning of the word and the effect it has.

I agree, LDV. By understanding the historic meaning of the word -- it's etymology -- we can deduce that people offended by it are completely clueless morons. Nigger is derived from negro, which -- wait for it <shock horror> -- means BLACK.

I see our some time resident Mr J Clarkson is in the news again, this time for not actually saying a racist term in a video clip that was not actually broadcast huh.png.......................See this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27253880 So the nursery rhyme that most of us over 40s will have said hundreds of times is causing this much outrage, fair enough you may say the N word in no longer acceptable in polite/ politically correct society (but OK in Rapper Songs) but the news this is generating is totally over the top in my opinion and a sad reflection of the state of our society these days. Thoughts?.....................

politically correct shlite.

Just like the poem, Baa, baa, black sheep that's supposedly was stopped in schools as it was racist.

For me, it's just a poem that was sung at school with no thought at all to peoples alternative meaning.

Why do people have to take something from innocence?

Just like the poem, Baa, baa, black sheep that's supposedly was stopped in schools as it was racist.

For me, it's just a poem that was sung at school with no thought at all to peoples alternative meaning.

For freyr's sake, that wasn't even about black people, it was about people who are different or stand out in a crowd. Is there nothing these postmodern revisionists will not attack with their disgusting cultural marxist agenda? They make me sick.

They live in London ?

Clarkeson knows what he's doing. He may be an immature, occasionally amusing and sometime oaf, but he knows how to offend and get the public wound up. He doesn't seem to offend the 'big' people though and simpers away at them in a very creepy manner.

He knows where to offend. He'll go to a foreign country, enjoying all the privilege that the BBC brand affords him, and he'll make snide comments of a local crossing a bridge or someone selling something on a market, or people eking out a meagre living etc.

I've just realised. His character suits the word 'bully' to a 'T'.

ETA As I suspect few of or any of us on here are coloured, we can't actually know how offensive these things are, can we?

Archived