Clarkson in Trouble Again - Has The World Gone Mad?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clarkson did this thinking that his usual fanboys would be tittering away about how non-PC he was by even using the rhyme in the first place. They'd all know what he was up to with his mutter and think how brilliant he was for going on the BBC and nearly saying "nigger".

Presumably that's why he asked for that take to never be aired? What a silly theory.

IIRC, the "N-word" was used several times in the Dambusters movie. The squadron mascot (a dog) and the codeword for a successful mission.

The name Nigger (The Dog) has been edited out of the thing as shown on TV to suit modern sensitivities.

A lot of people got their knickers in a twist about that. I think it is better it was taken out, but I don't think it matters too much. But the media coverage was completely out of proportion to the issue. The dog isn't a particularly important part of the storyline, as far as I am away.

IIRC, the "N-word" was used several times in the Dambusters movie. The squadron mascot (a dog) and the codeword for a successful mission.

The name Nigger (The Dog) has been edited out of the thing as shown on TV to suit modern sensitivities.

In actual fact, when Channel 4 broadcast this movie some years ago, the version broadcast in the south had 'Nigger' (the dog), edited out, dubbed with gnasher or somesuch, whereas the edition broadcast in the north had not.

It could've been t'other way round, mind....

A lot of people got their knickers in a twist about that. I think it is better it was taken out, but I don't think it matters too much. But the media coverage was completely out of proportion to the issue. The dog isn't a particularly important part of the storyline, as far as I am away.

How far away?

In actual fact, when Channel 4 broadcast this movie some years ago, the version broadcast in the south had 'Nigger' (the dog), edited out, dubbed with gnasher or somesuch, whereas the edition broadcast in the north had not.

It could've been t'other way round, mind....

Amazing how the anti-British twats who run Channel 4 would edit that out, yet went and broadcast an "alternative Christmas message" by Ahmedinejad of Iran, a creep who was the front man of a regime which has been committing crimes against humanity since the Revolution and who has personally called for the extermination of the Jewish people (no matter how you twist the translation). Another bunch of C U Next Thursdays. The British media establishment is full of them. And don't even get me started on the Guardian or the Independent.

The dog isn't a particularly important part of the storyline, as far as I am away.

Indeed, apart from being killed on the day of the raid. However in real life, that night in 1943, the word/dog's name was code for the Mohne dam being breached and aircraft with remaining bombs to attack the Eder. I very much doubt whether causing offence was a consideration during Operation Chastise.

This word has the propensity to be extremely offensive but as Gladys points out, the context must be taken into account. In fact I'd say the context is pivotal. That's why its use, say, in the film and in that 1930s recording do not justify its complete exclusion from the language.

It seems that some people are just queuing up these days to be offended however, I'd join the queue if someone was saying the word with a clear intention to offend/be derogatory to a suitable recipient. Clarkson has made a living out of being mildly offensive but I think he went too far this time.

Archived