Tt Is Quiet This Year

TheTool

shut it tool, like steve gribbins says people always like to forecast doom on the TT, but if it looked like we were really going to lose it then the manx would all be trying their best to save it, Id be a marshall in a heartbeat if I really thought they needed them bad.

any big festival anywhere has its share of doom forecasters, haters and detracters, none of them where there are that many people congragating conform to all health and safety,its not possible.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand that John McG is advocating the licensing of marshalls (which shall include official training, first aid, course awareness etc) from now on as opposed to having just anyone who signs on and pulls on a tabard. Whilst admirable it will signal the end of the TT which is struggling to find volunteer marshalls anyway.

I think you'll find that most of the local marshals on the circuit are trained in (IM)(incident management).

Which covers everything you've mentioned in your post and more.

Most new local marshals are the ones that aren't IM trained and the only reason they aren't is because they're new. They are put with experienced trained marshals and usually do a course when they've decided marshalling is for them.

younger generation don't seem to want to do it they would rather drink and cause mayhem lol nothing wrong with that

i wouldnt mind becoming a marshall, learning first aid etc to help with it and i know a few others my age (16) who are wanting to join. not all of the younger generation want to go out and drink over TT

I understand that John McG is advocating the licensing of marshalls (which shall include official training, first aid, course awareness etc) from now on as opposed to having just anyone who signs on and pulls on a tabard. Whilst admirable it will signal the end of the TT which is struggling to find volunteer marshalls anyway.

I think you'll find that most of the local marshals on the circuit are trained in (IM)(incident management).

Which covers everything you've mentioned in your post and more.

Most new local marshals are the ones that aren't IM trained and the only reason they aren't is because they're new. They are put with experienced trained marshals and usually do a course when they've decided marshalling is for them.

I dont doubt that they are...and I wouldnt do it for a big clock so respect to them for that. Point being though that if they bring in licensing then that will make someone or something ultimately culpable for the actions of their licenceholders.

In the event that a tragic incident was then brought about by one of their members who would want that level of responsibility.

Health and Safety could become a problem, maybe not be the end of the TT, but it could impact on the way it is run.

I'm a great supporter of using common sense as are most people, unfortunately not all are and the increasing legislation is due to those who take risks and end up coming off second best.

I couldn't imagine working 30 foot up a scaffold without safety rails, but until a few years ago this was common place. A lot of negligence was based purely on not spending a couple of extra quid or assuming 'that'll do' and people died as a result.

The TT is great and I have absolute admiration for those who take part. Where H&S could cause problems is places like the previously mentioned Quarter Bridge and similar places. If a bike comes down the hill at 100mph and fails to brake/negotiate the bend the injuries could be horrific.

H&S asseses this risk and says it isn't acceptable. It doesn't ask if there has been an accident, it asks could there be an accident.

Just like an employer on site or in the workplace, the TT organisers have a "duty of Care" to spectators. Organisers put on the event, they invite us to come and watch. By doing so, they accept a legal responsibility for our wellbeing.

Building sites are dangerous, we all know this. Putting up a sign asking people to keep out should suffice, but thay have to be fenced off by law. The builders have a duty of care to the public to do all within reasonable limits to prevent the person who can not read, or is too young or even too stupid to be aware of the dangers. If such a person enters the site and hurts themself, the first question asked is "what measures were taken to prevent entry and therefore the accident happening" etc..

One of the great things about the TT is the ability to lean on a grass bank as a bike goes hurtling past at high speed. Road racing simply allows you 'closer' to the action.

H&S would say that the closer you are to the action, the more in danger you are. If they want to impose the sort of restrictions that they are more than capable of imposing, then you would see a big impact on the way that the races are managed and that could have a long term impact on the festival itself.

I hope it doesn't.

Excellent post Mr Ripsaw.

I too can see how the current "compo" culture could cause all sorts of problems. It doesn't matter how much you protect the stupid from themselves, at the end of the day they could still end up taking you to the cleaners for something they manifestly brought down upon themselves.

Do we have a big H&S department over here then.

if it did come down to them posing a problem it could be worked around though Im sure. mainly because (guessing here like) the spectators do not pay to watch. doesnt this make a big difference? It's like if I have a outdoor party with fireworks bands and big crowds, no problems, but if I tyr to charge $5 entry then H&S becomes a problem.

Do we have a big H&S department over here then.

No Idea on the physical size. It's the authority and the sharpness of their teeth that are the deciding factors.

I realise that it is hypothetical, but what if the current chief officer left and was replacd by a bike hating jobsworth? Sure the DoT&L would try and fight it, but would they fend off legislation backed by the UK and the EEC?

...if it did come down to them posing a problem it could be worked around though Im sure. 
How do you make QB safer? Picture the spectators lined up opposite QB Road... Ban the fans from behind the fence? Install 10 foot deep soft landing/impact bags into the road? Errect a 20 foot mesh fence? Right, that's QB, how many other corners are there? This is why the event would suffer if H&S legislation kicked in. It's ok to sort out one area, but once the ball is rolling it grows and grows. You can not pick and choose, you have to deal with every potential situation. Does the TT earn enough to make the costs worthwhile? If not, what is the consequence? The cheap option is to ban the fans from that area...
mainly because (guessing here like) the spectators do not pay to watch. doesnt this make a big difference? It's like if I have a outdoor party with fireworks bands and big crowds, no problems, but if I tyr to charge $5 entry then H&S becomes a problem.
If you invite friends to a firework display (charge or no charge) and one goes off in their face, pray that they can not show negligence on your part, or that they are a very, very good friend.
It doesn't matter how much you protect the stupid from themselves, at the end of the day they could still end up taking you to the cleaners for something they manifestly brought down upon themselves.
Duty of Care means assessing and taking all reasonable precautions. This may simply be a Marshal verbaly telling fans to move their legs back, it may be thousands of pounds worth of protection for each section of area where the public gather. The free bits are fine and I'll bet a lot of them are already in place.

It's the not so free things that could/would impact.

So, back to the real issue.

Bushy's Tent, a pint of pre-poured warm lager in a throwaway plastic container, in a tent on a car-park, dirty and filthy and smelling of sick/vomit.

For £2.75.

'kin bargain I tell thee.

Mr Bushy may wear a sort of biker's leather jacket and a constant smile on his face all the time but so does the chap from Dandara, except as far as I am aware Dan doesn't wear a sort of biker's leather jacket.

Bushy's developed out of spontaneity. For TT's sake iIt needs to finish/change - soon.

well I doubt it would come to that, it would impact on far more than the TT if H&S got that over the top.

hypothestical situations where the TT has to finish are a common hobby round here it seems! what is the point?

If you invite friends to a firework display (charge or no charge) and one goes off in their face, pray that they can not show negligence on your part, or that they are a very, very good friend.

Yes agreed. but my point is that H&S does not govern free events. (thankfully)

for H&S rules to apply an event has to be charging people. (I think)

meaning that if for example someone did get mown down in QB (or a firework in face) then they could try to sue or whatever yes. but H&S regs would not be there beforehand as an automatic feature as with events held and charged for entry.

for instance the veranda at greeba that charges $$ to sit there - they will have to comply with H&S regs. but for someone to wander up and stand somewhere (IE QB) is not.

You could always just stand outside the tent to smell the vomit. You could then also enjoy the background aroma of the toilets and the constant hum of the generators.

But, if you're having a good time, enjoying the atmosphere, you probably wouldn't notice any of these :)

hypothestical situations where the TT has to finish are a common hobby round here it seems! what is the point?
I agree. There are a lot of doom mongers who only seem happy when running things down without an ounze of respect for what the situation is or what it means to people.

Let's hope for many more TTs to come and maybe even an expansion on the festival :)

In regards to Bushy's Tent. Great idea, shame about the lack of space in and around the tent.

Would it make life easier if it was a bit closer to the Sea Terminal so people walked between the tent and the entertainment area rather than milling about right outside the entrances?

/ +ve criticism on

Most bike rally's have a tent and a bar and the occasional band. That is about all it needs. The rest is just spontaneous fun 'till the wee small hours.

Bushy's has now become old hat.

They got the tent, they got the band they got the beer. But they also got regulation and they also got closing time.

(last year they had arzole bouncers walking in a line down the tent kicking people out at closing time (wtf was all that about - it's TT - it's the Isle of Man ffs).

It is entertainment overload. You're in the tent and you can't even lip-read the music is that loud. And when the band tries to entertain you there's a goddamn jet engine on wheels 20 yards away or some bloke screeching, screeching, screeching on a motorbike. I mean, how can the biker-bitches/local fooklets hear and be impressed by my exploits when someone is making a racket outside of the tent?

Anyway, the whole thing needs to be split up along the Promenade or something.

Good idea about moving the tent towards the Sea terminal btw.

/ cynical twisted bitter mode back on

Archived