Advocates (Free consultation)

Brickster

That must be where I've gone wrong all of these years, I'm not a pal of, or friends with other advocates. I have professional working relationships with them and with members of the judiciary.

I was however in partnership with Deemster Kerruish, but we weren't "friends" or "pals", before he became AG. He was very down to earth and good with litigants in person and advocates as well. So are his successors, and I am not aware of any of them being "dodgy"

But I would say that, I suppose you will all say

That must be where I've gone wrong all of these years, I'm not a pal of, or friends with other advocates. I have professional working relationships with them and with members of the judiciary.

I was however in partnership with Deemster Kerruish, but we weren't "friends" or "pals", before he became AG. He was very down to earth and good with litigants in person and advocates as well. So are his successors, and I am not aware of any of them being "dodgy"

But I would say that, I suppose you will all say

Aye, I'll say it - "you would say that".

By the way John, did you ever have a professional working relationship with a conveyancing clerk who used to do a few conveyancing foreigners on the cheap. His greed for a bit of easy cash in hand has ruined a few lives years later, or rather the greed of the people who used him to do their cheap and cheerful conveyancing.

steven !, no idea who you are suggesting. I've only ever been aware of one person who tried to do that, using a power of attorney from the vendor, I recall that mainly he acted in sales. He had initials wlc, and I wouldn't deal with him or have my firm deal with him.

At least using an advocate you do get the benefit of insurance cover. That was in the bad old days of the fixed scale for conveyancing. Now there is a maximum fee and most firms charge well below the maximum. In fact purchase conveyancing with total guarantee of title by advocate or insurance if they get it wrong, is around half what an estate agent charges to market and introduce a purchaser.

I always found Deemster Kerruish very reasonable. He unfailingly took my appearances before him with good humour & never once sent me to gaol!

I never quite understood why he to be stuck up on an wooden gantry some twelve foot up in the air, only to look down upon the rest of us. You'd think he'd get vertigo or something

Edited by Donald Trumps

I take it you don't drink in the Woodbourne or the Rovers then; that's where they all seem to congregate. By the way, must advocates and members of the judiciary declare membership in fraternities in order to make sure it's all transparent and nothing untoward is going on?

• 2 years later...
Hi distinguished members of legal Fraternity,I have a query can an advocate or a lawyer hire another advocate or a lawyer to take up his clients case.If yes then how can one proceed further and if not then what are the rules in this regards? Any help would be appreciable. icon_neutral.gif

Represent yourself if thats an option.

A reasonable comment.

But this is the Isle of Man. You will be like lambs to the slaughter. Well, not slaughter, that is relatively humane. More like a pack of dogs that play about with the prey before killing and eating it. Or is it snakes that do that?

Oh and from what I have seen, the deemster will likely take the greatest delight in all the fun.

Not my experience, I represented myself , in a civil matter, the other side was represented by Athol's Street's finest.

I won.

The deemster (Deemster Keruish) I found fair and helpful , although he did appear to take some mischievous delight in explaining the obvious to a confused advocate .

To be fair he initially advised me to seek the advice of an advocate but he didn't have the patronising attitude which unfortunately seems to be typical of some members of the legal 'club'.

Sadly they don't make them like Deemster Kerruish any more. Steven ! is correct. I've unfortunately experienced it

• 4 years later...