Is Putin's Russia like the Nazis, should Charles have said so?

Chinahand

Funny how Bush and Putin got on very well, the best of buddies on his Texas ranch. Strange how things can turn sour so quickly and suddenly he's now the new Hitler or something. Given Bush's amiable relationship with Putin, why hasn't he been more vocal about what's been going on, or been involved in diplomatic efforts? Or has the past been rewritten and all of that hanging out with each other at his ranch never really happened and I'm a conspiracy theorist for remembering it????

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do royal families carry any weight these days? I suppose that if people around the world assume that they do, then they should be diplomatic. But it seems that they are on longer leaders/representitives but toothless relics more akin to low ranking celebrities

Well senior politicians do have more in common with each other than they do with the populations they purport to serve. I liken them to 'El Capo's', each representing their mafia patch and occasionally there's some infighting but generally they're all in the same club at the end of the day. If ever the rest of humanity rose to challenge governments in general they'd all band together with an iron fist to protect their cosy little privileged game at the top of the tree.

The Royal Family's influence shouldn't just be measured in their role as royal family, though; they're also extraordinarily wealthy and also a major land owner. I don't know if those "world's richest" lists even bother to include them as they're in a league all of their own.

The Royal Family's influence shouldn't just be measured in their role as royal family, though; they're also extraordinarily wealthy and also a major land owner. I don't know if those "world's richest" lists even bother to include them as they're in a league all of their own.

Wealth means nowt.. The queen is no longer the person that declares war, nor does she dictate govt policy or direction. The Queen's speech is written by politicians. Their thoughts on Putin or anything else are no more important than Katie Price's tweets in today's world.

Wealth means nowt.. The queen is no longer the person that declares war, nor does she dictate govt policy or direction. The Queen's speech is written by politicians. Their thoughts on Putin or anything else are no more important than Katie Price's tweets in today's world.

A woman who is still possibly the largest land owner on the planet carries no weight at all in world affairs?? Are you serious?

A woman who is still possibly the largest land owner on the planet carries no weight at all in world affairs?? Are you serious?

Shit! How much land does Katie Price own?

Who is she, by the way?

The Queen of Jordan.

Yes. What political influence has the royal family exerted in the last 30 years? They are a figurehead and not much more. It is not the royal family that chooses to take part in sanctions/wars, their thoughts or even their desires have no bearing on what Britain's government or the world will actually do regarding Putin. They authorise whatever actions the government ask them to as a formality, even if they disagree with them. Check out the 39 more powerful women according to Forbes http://www.forbes.com/power-women/gallery/queen-elizabeth-ii

Wealth means nowt but the ability to buy things, like politicians and civil servants. The Queen is a major shareholder in some very large transnational corporations, including in the oil business, so yes she has as much "clout" on the national and world stage as any human being could ever hope to obtain. In fact, I'd say that the British monarchy has more power and influence in the world now than at any time in history. You have to remember that transnational corporations are as powerful and in some cases more powerful than nation states thanks to various international treaties.

Yes. What political influence has the royal family exerted in the last 30 years? They are a figurehead and not much more. It is not the royal family that chooses to take part in sanctions/wars, their thoughts or even their desires have no bearing on what Britain's government or the world will actually do regarding Putin. They authorise whatever actions the government ask them to as a formality, even if they disagree with them. Check out the 39 more powerful women according to Forbes http://www.forbes.com/power-women/gallery/queen-elizabeth-ii

You are citing Forbes magazine as your evidence?!!

Archived