Should Road Racing Be Banned?

The Sick Moon

With smart phones so prolific these it's only a matter of time. Possibly days.

It's inevitable isn't it. Apparently you can make a lot of money from advertising on youtube if you can generate a lot of hits, and fatal crashes seem to do just that. Someone will exploit it soon.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Helix: Fans of road racing definately downplay the danger. That 'riders know what they are getting into' argument is used, but discussions about the dangers and crashes isn't well received. We've seen it lots of times here, and on the IOM TT forums, so we all know it's a thing. Even without downplaying it, I think reading a press release vs seeing the accident in full HD video is likely to bring the reality home for many more people.

Why look for it in the first place then? Then why even start watching it?

To paraphrase the disclaimer from The Offspring's "Ixnay on the Hombre" album, if it offends you then just don't watch it.

See?

I didn't know it was a fatal accident. It was from a friend on my fb feed, and it said 'NW200 crash'. I watched it, and it showed very clearly that it was a gut wrenching accident that the rider was unlikely to recover from, and I genuinely do wish I'd not seen it. The sad news of the crash being fatal came later in the day, after the video had several hundred thousand views.

Anyway, the point wasn't that it offends me, but that it informs me. I can see the reality of a violent accident vs a press release. I was making the point that this exposure could be a threat to dangerous sports. There was a similar incident with a cyclist in the Giro a couple of years ago. A fatal accident right under the nose of HD cameras which was filmed live. The impact was far worse, and far wider reaching than a press release at the end of the event.

Slim - My reply was direct at "The Sick Moon" and was partly tongue in cheek. I was responding to a comment that read like the person had heard of the fatality and then sought out the footage on youtube and then felt it was inappropriate.

I have not seen the footage and I have no desire to knowing the outcome. I am not an accident investigator and have no wish to witness the demise of another person if I can avoid it.

I am happy to engage in a genuine discussion about the risks of road racing, however, it does to some extent need to be wider that and should consider peoples attitudes to risk in other situations. It has been mentioned that maybe it is better to have organised and "controlled" events such as the TT in order that people do not set up illegal street races.

• 3 weeks later...

I was particularly impressed with the comparison between people watching it with people watching paedophilia on the internet.

Not quite sure what that says about the people who watch and take part in the live event.

Not quite sure what your post says about you, but could hazard a guess.

Is it normal to allow the bikes to carry on even after the paramedics have arrived by helicopter and are on the road?

The marshals deal with an incident initially and race control is immediately advised of the situation , air med is always called to attend and the travelling marshal is on the scene within a couple of minutes or so .

The helicopter does not land on the road but on a pre-arranged landing sites . The decision to "red flag" is made by race control who are in radio contact with the travelling marshal who can advise on the rider, condition of the road etc.

I know the helicopter wasn't on the road, but the paramedics were. And the bikes were still going past. And some people in the crowd were shouting "get your fucking red flag out - you can't race with a man lying on the road" - for several minutes. If that's the norm then this event is a ticking timebomb.

They have yellow flags too. The majority of incidents, I'd go as far to say 99.9%, are readily controlled by the proper use of yellow flags.

Emotional people should not argue emotionally about things they do not understand.

That seems unbelievably arrogant.

They have yellow flags too. The majority of incidents, I'd go as far to say 99.9%, are readily controlled by the proper use of yellow flags.

Emotional people should not argue emotionally about things they do not understand.

That seems unbelievably arrogant.

Not to me. I'm a firm believer in keeping emotion out of the law and a wide variety of other areas where it has no place in decision making.

Archived