Take a tour of the N.R.A. National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Virginia

This is a documentary which aired a couple of days ago on American History TV. Regardless of where you stand on the subject of gun rights, the video tour by the museum's director and curator affords a very interesting insight into the history of the gun and its role in American history. I especially like how they cross-link it with the industrial revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hEm5JUeGc8

I don't have the time or inclination to watch that, and I'm certainly not getting involved in a pro and contra gun discussion, but is the link to the industrial revolution to do with mass manufacturing and mass tooling? Regardless of what is actually being manufactured I do find that side of things quite fascinating. Industrial design is a bit of a nerdy obsession of mine. I love the fact that nearly everything you buy has had to have had some specific machinery designed to enable its manufacture.

They go into how the manufacturing of guns on an industrial scale was the driving force which led to the mass production of everything else in America, much like cotton and ceramics were the driving force for industrialisation in England.

In order for industrialisation to expand and really develop, you had to have a product which would allow for the right economy of scale to really push the methods of production forward. In America, it happened to be the gun, because their industrial revolution coincided with the western expansionism.

True. They wiped out most of the Native Americans. There were about 6 to 10 million Native Americans when the white man landed; that had been reduced to around 600,000 by 1900. And that wasn't just down to white people bringing diseases either, although there were cases of them deliberately infecting native populations.

True. They wiped out most of the Native Americans. There were about 6 to 10 million Native Americans when the white man landed; that had been reduced to around 600,000 by 1900. And that wasn't just down to white people bringing diseases either, although there were cases of them deliberately infecting native populations.

Citation needed.

Archived