Being bilingual 'slows brain ageing'

Amadeus

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm more than bilingual, TJ, and that joke didn't work. You're always posting how proud you are of your manxness. Why don't you learn manx? A few friends of mine have and they seem to enjoy it. One is from Germany as well and I envy her because she now speaks about six or seven different languages.

When you lived on the Isle of Man there were few German speakers so you must have spent nearly 100% of your time communicating in English. What language did you think in?

Nativist psychology theories suggest that humans are hardwired with a language of thought from birth. We think in 'the language of thought' or mentalese, rather than a specific language. This may be why people with severe communication disorders who have problems interpreting or articulating spoken language, body language or facial gestures are nevertheless quite capable of thought.

In other words - we don't think in any language (other than the language of thought).

Nativist psychology theories suggest that humans are hardwired with a language of thought from birth. We think in 'the language of thought' or mentalese, rather than a specific language. This may be why people with severe communication disorders who have problems interpreting or articulating spoken language, body language or facial gestures are nevertheless quite capable of thought.

In other words - we don't think in any language (other than the language of thought).

I think this has to be the case. My mother used to work with the deaf, and the deaf blind and mute.

Imagine being deaf-blind and mute from birth, they seemed to create their own universe of thought and interpretation. Perfectly intelligent humans trapped in the analogy of being a powerful CPU with the power of thought and no peripherals at all, discovered only by few people's efforts to communicate with them properly. No facial expressions or body language at all, often only touch such as finger spelling etc.

From a seeing/hearing/talking world going into that world would be extremely difficult for everyone, being born into it and not knowing any difference, requires perceiving and dealing with a whole different universe to ours. But hardwired abilities such as a 'language of thought', I would say yes.

I'm more than bilingual, TJ, and that joke didn't work. You're always posting how proud you are of your manxness. Why don't you learn manx? A few friends of mine have and they seem to enjoy it. One is from Germany as well and I envy her because she now speaks about six or seven different languages.

When you lived on the Isle of Man there were few German speakers so you must have spent nearly 100% of your time communicating in English. What language did you think in?

Hard to say. I still use German every day with friends and while reading German news, etc, so it's 50/50 I guess.

Imagine being deaf-blind and mute from birth, they seemed to create their own universe of thought and interpretation. Perfectly intelligent humans trapped in the analogy of being a powerful CPU with the power of thought and no peripherals at all, discovered only by few people's efforts to communicate with them properly. No facial expressions or body language at all, often only touch such as finger spelling etc.

From a seeing/hearing/talking world going into that world would be extremely difficult for everyone, being born into it and not knowing any difference, requires perceiving and dealing with a whole different universe to ours. But hardwired abilities such as a 'language of thought', I would say yes.

So hard to imagine this, Albert. Thought without ever having visual or audial experience. So much of thought is surely accompanied by image? Then the memories that are awakened by sounds - music or whatever. I can't imagine the number of unknown losses that the the deaf/dumb/blind experience.

Manx is an extinct language; most of it has been made up, based on Irish, by revivalists. There is no literature to read. Learning it would be a waste of time.

Why would the government spend taxpayer's money on something that's a waste of time?

I think that if you spent some years immersed in another language, it does gradually invade your thought processes and you begin to think in that language. I know that I did.

How very true....

This happened to me when I lived in Liverpool.

So hard to imagine this, Albert. Thought without ever having visual or audial experience. So much of thought is surely accompanied by image? Then the memories that are awakened by sounds - music or whatever. I can't imagine the number of unknown losses that the the deaf/dumb/blind experience.

Imagine though you didn't know what an image or sound was in the first place. If we lose something we had we are 'incapicitated', if someone born without it gains it or a perception of it...it's just a different experience to what they have previously experienced, and it might just be a perception.

Universes are relative, relative to what you have or do not have. Don't confuse loss of something with something you never had, that's different, it's a grieving process about incapicitation.

Butterflies see in infrared, we can't. Just imagine seeing in infrared, it's difficult to imagine. It's a similar leap of imagination and thought that a blind person, born without sight, has to make.

Archived