Multiple Accounts

wrighty

Multiple Accounts  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The first part of the title in Manx forums is an indication that change is generally slow and unlikely to be welcomed.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It may not be broken.

But it's certainly fractured...

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this vote actually going to change anything on the forum by the way, or was it just a vote to gauge opinion? (I'm just pretty sick of a certain few posters)

Well I started the poll and was waiting before all the results were in before commenting further.

It seems that most posters only have one account. The actual figure may be less than quoted as people that run sock-puppets, for some reason, may not admit to it - in fact only 2 have.

Again, most voters think users should have only one account. I suspect the rate is higher than the vote, as the 'no' vote will be inflated by the sock-puppet users (of which there are more than 2).

Conclusion? If it were technologically possible, it seems that most forum users would prefer that sock-puppets aren't allowed. If I'm having an argument with someone online, I'd like to know that I'm arguing with one rather than having two gang up on me, who happen to be the same person. I don't know how it could be done - registration requires an e-mail address, but it's easy enough to set up plenty of those. Anything involving IP addresses wouldn't work, as they're all dynamic - not that I know much about this sort of thing. Perhaps a passport number, or a NI number, or a postal address to complete registration would work, however I'm sure that would put 90+% of users off using the forum at all - me included.

So it'll have to stay the same as it is, with a mixture of obvious and non-obvious sock-puppets amongst us. As Lonan said, it's ManxForums, and they don't like change.

Is this vote actually going to change anything on the forum by the way, or was it just a vote to gauge opinion? (I'm just pretty sick of a certain few posters)

Well I started the poll and was waiting before all the results were in before commenting further.

It seems that most posters only have one account. The actual figure may be less than quoted as people that run sock-puppets, for some reason, may not admit to it - in fact only 2 have.

Again, most voters think users should have only one account. I suspect the rate is higher than the vote, as the 'no' vote will be inflated by the sock-puppet users (of which there are more than 2).

Conclusion? If it were technologically possible, it seems that most forum users would prefer that sock-puppets aren't allowed. If I'm having an argument with someone online, I'd like to know that I'm arguing with one rather than having two gang up on me, who happen to be the same person. I don't know how it could be done - registration requires an e-mail address, but it's easy enough to set up plenty of those. Anything involving IP addresses wouldn't work, as they're all dynamic - not that I know much about this sort of thing. Perhaps a passport number, or a NI number, or a postal address to complete registration would work, however I'm sure that would put 90+% of users off using the forum at all - me included.

So it'll have to stay the same as it is, with a mixture of obvious and non-obvious sock-puppets amongst us. As Lonan said, it's ManxForums, and they don't like change.

Obviously an exhaustive study....

I wonder how technically feasible it would be to put a counter next to the profile picture which simply lists how many other accounts have used the same IP address in the last 24 hours or whatever - which when you clicked it showed you the other profiles using that IP address.

The trouble is work colleagues on shared computers, siblings and spouses etc would be accused of sockpuppeting, plus it would be trivial to work around.

That's the only thing I could think which might help, but with multiple devices etc it doesn't really work!

Sensible points about multiple accounts

... Intrestingly another account has been more Terse.

I played that card back on page 3! At least try and keep up...

I'm still waiting for Declan to explain what a "normal poster" actually is so that hopefully us laymen could recognise one.

Ahhh - so there's a grass in your network! Better get the old t'inter sniffer on the case.

Yes. I seem to recall a thread where various posters who had dropped out of site (sorry) fessed up as to why. DJDan was the obvious one with folks hounding and mocking him for his beliefs but for your good self wasn't it you just got pissed off with folks looking down on cabbies with disdain.

And I've conceded that I used it after a 'forum flounce,' when I was not signing in as 'Lonan3,' and was somewhat disappointed when a moderator who'd been informed about of what I was doing, accidentally 'outed' it.

That's nothing - a bloody taxi driver out me to my mates once :-)

And I've conceded that I used it after a 'forum flounce,' when I was not signing in as 'Lonan3,' and was somewhat disappointed when a moderator who'd been informed about of what I was doing, accidentally 'outed' it.

That's nothing - a bloody taxi driver out me to my mates once :-)

You have friends???!!!

However you were named in the expose of JW's opinion gathering exercise iirc so it's a fair cop.

Archived