Multiple Accounts

wrighty

Multiple Accounts  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Wrighty so now this legion of imaginary sock puppets are voting to ban having more than one account? Since most actual real posters who've replied to the thread have been against a ban.
That seems fanciful but you left that possibility open by making the poll anonymous.

To me a big part of the disruption caused by sock puppets, is caused by amateur slooths trying to guess who is and isn't the same person. Followed by the outing and several posts from those named denying they're each other. And because the slooth has no real proof it continues for a few pages.

The truth is responding to these antics exacerbates them and increases the disruption. And you want drag the mods into this armed with little more than guesswork? I can already see the first protest thread now

"You've banned XYZ because you think he's my sock puppet, but he's really my mother who naturally wanted to support me against the unfair treatment I've received from Wrighty.

Edited to add I mean she's my mother, not he's. A simple typo proves nothing."

And the mods will have no way to prove it is a sock puppet. In fact the gimmick accounts, which no one seems to mind, will be the easiest to spot as obvious multiple accounts.

Like I say all this will blow over; it'll blow over much quicker if people stop responding to sock puppets (and TJ). And then we'll not be left with a draconian rule that can only be enforced by guesswork.

Declan, I would like to agree with you and I do hope that this is just a temporary blip.

You already know how I have voted and I chose to vote that way because I feel that some of these secondary accounts are being used for trolling and abusing other posters rather than being used for comedic effect.

Since the threads have started about multiple accounts I have noticed an increase in new posters. Whether these are sock puppets or not I can't tell. It does, however, appear that they are rather prolific posters for newbies.

It is the trolling I have the issue with. I have actually thought about having an account using my real name but chose not too because I like the anonymity this ID gives me.

That's the point, you can't. I just had a look at the Karl Harris thread, expecting Sick Moon to be winding up the petrolheads, but it's the second post (from Censorship) that starts the row and takes it off topic, then Lonan3 piles in with his obsession about PL and Sick Moon just has to reply to them to keep it ticking over. Let's assume for a moment Sick Moon is trying to be deliberately disruptive then Censorship and Lonan3 have helped him. On the other hand he might be the victim of them disliking what he believes and ganging up on him. How can we expect the mods to pick their way through that lot and start banning people.

Perhaps the answer is if you think someone is disrupting the forum just to get a kick, don't reply to them.

That's the point, you can't. I just had a look at the Keith Harris thread, expecting Sick Moon to be winding up the petrolheads, but it's the second post (from Censorship) that starts the row and takes it off topic, then Lonan3 piles in with his obsession about PL and Sick Moon just has to reply to them to keep it ticking over.

I'm just looking out for Orville.

That's the point, you can't. I just had a look at the Keith Harris thread, expecting Sick Moon to be winding up the petrolheads, but it's the second post (from Censorship) that starts the row and takes it off topic, then Lonan3 piles in with his obsession about PL and Sick Moon just has to reply to them to keep it ticking over.

I'm just looking out for Orville.

Thanks for that. Since I saw it a few hours ago I've had

stuck in my head.

ETA: Be warned, if you click on the link, you may get it stuck too.

• 2 weeks later...

I had one actual 'sock puppet' several years ago - at a time when I had stopped posting as Lonan3. Other than that, I have briefly used some 'spoof' accounts.

I haven't, however, used something like the Manxtaxpayer account to put 'likes' on the junk produced by the same poster as the obnoxious Pierrot Lunaire.

Gosh, you know what, you're right! As you know, I've been looking through PL's history, and there are an awful lot of likes by MTP! Do you really think someone would use another account to rack up a load of likes in order to appear more popular than they actually are? I find that hard to believe!

Archived