Multiple Accounts

wrighty

Multiple Accounts  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably what hubs thinks.

What's up now Gladys?

Did you know that I previously wrote the word husband entirely for you the other day, only for you to throw it back at me as you are again. Shame really as it only strengthens my resolve to use the word hubs again and again.

I'm not fishing. I've challenged your statement that there are mods who use multiple account as being wrong and you have offered nothing to defend your claim, leading me, and probably everyone else reading this, to conclude that you simply made it up.

Edit: Or just mistaken as it turns out. No harm done.

Thank you Ans,

I was given misinformation and presumed it correct.

It wasn't hubs either Gladys, but he did put me right and not too pleased either. This is why I sent a personal apology to Ans and I also offer my apologies to others for getting it well wrong.

Sorry

No / No

This is my first and so far only ID here but I've been haunting various forums since the dawn of the internet, some more disreputable than others. Nowhere have I encountered a way of handling multi-IDs and trolls that didn't jettison the baby with the bathwater.

• 5 months later...

Is anybody else fed up of the obvious escalation in the number of sock puppets on this forum in recent months? These sock puppets post nothing but garbage, are characterised by an affectatious (i.e. deliberate, for effect) use of bad English, lean toward the most idiotic conspiracy theories out there, and are uninteresting and devoid of any kind of discernable personality. They are blatantly obvious. You could be forgiven for believing it is all part of an agenda to discredit the forum and they appear to be deliberately trying to incriminate one of the forum's users in particular as being their creator.

I really don't like these recent sock puppets. I find their posts serve only to confuse readers and to generate confusion and put people off visiting the forums. They lower the quality of discussion. I have experience of dealing with people with mental health problems and it reminds me a lot of that, but I think this person or people are only pretending and this is all deliberate. Can't the moderators put a stop to all these sock puppets? If somebody comes on here and posts incoherent garbage, why not just ban them?

Thanks

I'm reopening this thread and replying to Ulysses' post here as it seems a more appropriate place to debate it.

I agree that sock-puppeting causes the Forums all sorts of problems. People like to understand the person and motives behind an anonymous avatar and will often attempt to discover who is behind them.

This results in accusations, denials, uncoverings, innuendos etc etc etc.

I feel this does seriously spoil the debate.

Declan has been most sensible in saying we should take each poster on face value and just respond to the content they are posting up, but I have to be honest as another, and then another and then another oh too similar style of posting appears on the forums it is very difficult to do that.

If only one person is making an argument it has a different impact compared to three or four.

My solution last time this was debated was a simple IP address button next to people's names which would tell you what other posters have been posting using the same IP address in the last hour/day/week.

I fully admit that would cause hassle to spouses, siblings and housemates and could be gotten around pretty easily via work and phone logins.

I have to be honest I don't understand why people want to sockpuppet. It shows a great lack of confidence and desire to deceive if you ask me. Why can't people be honest and upfront. TheBees has managed to do it with 2Bees there's no attempt at subterfuge, it's just a 2nd account.

That is hugely different from sockpuppetry.

I do think it has become more common than previously but I try not to engage in trying to uncover it too much - other than when it is very obvious with posters who claim not to be related showing very strong evidence of being the same person behind the anonymity.

Archived