Multiple Accounts

wrighty

Multiple Accounts  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No and No for me.

I've never seen the attraction of multiple usernames, unless there is a technical computer type reason I just don't see the point. I did initially think a one username policy would be a good thing but after some thought I have decided no, although having said that I'm pretty much 50/50 on that one. I use other forums where only one username is allowed and I have to say that there does seem to be less pointless arguing on them. Obviously, it can't be proved whether that is the reason for that but it would make sense. I do agree that some second users are quite amusing, its the ones that suddenly appear seemly only to troll people that are the problem. I guess it comes down to good, and consistent, moderation to address those ones. Perhaps it should be permissible for mods to name users with the same IP address in a thread where the two or more users are being unduly mischievous. I would have thought that a one username policy would make moderation a lot easier but judging by the responses from mods on this thread I guess that isn't a significant concern.

Policing secondary accounts is guesswork to be honest. You can look at IP addresses but what if two posters work for the same firm? What if two posters live together? What if people post regularly from free wifi spots? It would usually be an educated guess, but still a guess and if someone specifically wanted to conceal themselves across multiple accounts, it's a pretty trivial task via proxies, TOR exit nodes, VPS shells, whatever.

I don't like to see people using multiple accounts to add the weight of volume to support their views but other than that, my personal view is that people can do what they want. Gimmick accounts when done right can be really funny (See: Zombie Dave) but on here, they're often interchangeable between someone's main account (See: Civil Servant) so you end up wondering what the point is of them.

Can't vote as none of the options fit properly for me.

I do have multiple accounts registered but I very rarely use them these days and it's never as sock puppets. I had many gimmick accounts back in my posting heyday and have probably forgotten more than I can remember. I think I can recall the login details of maybe 3 or 4 of them if the mood took me to suddenly post with one of them.

Gimmick accounts definitely have their place on forums and shouldn't be clamped down on imho. Sad twats that use sock puppets to try and win an argument or bully other users should however be burnt at teh stake. :)

No and no.

Posting under one account is bad enough - waiting for someone to point out grammar and spelling mistakes, let alone picking apart what I have actually written.

Comedy accounts are well worth it

Archived