D Day

Addie

Yes, RAFA on corner of Prospect Hill and Myrtle Street, and there was a Naval Association on Hill Street which moved to Regent Street. Like most clubs they failed after the change in our drinking laws in the late 1980's.

The RAFA club here failed simply because people didn't go. They tried to get a few organisations to support it by holding meetings there, but it was all but empty on all too many nights near the end, even with the beer being far cheaper than elsewhere there.

Of course, the majority of those that fought in WW2 were getting quite old by the 1990s John, and with few new recruits or supporters the writing was on the wall.

Sad. It hung on a couple of final years by the skin of its teeth and the efforts of a couple of people...but eventually financial reality got the better of it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same with the auto club, Albert. I was on the committee for years. That extra hour counted a lot in income terms and many people came in from the pubs at 10 in winter. The minute that advantage went they all started the slippery slope, Musicians Club, Ellan Vannin, RAFA, RNA, just the legion, Buffs, sdofa, and masons left now. I was a member at RAFA as well.

I knew a lot of postmen who were members of the Musician's Club (always referred to as the fiddler's) because it was fractionally closer to the old sorting office than the Forester's Arms. I never knew any of its members who could play any musical instrument, though! huh.png

Archived