another missed opportunity?

doc.fixit

I think it is a massive missed opportunity not to try and market the IOM to a car manufacturer as a testing ground for Electric cars - surely due to the limited distances and varied terrain and driving conditions we would be perfect. The Electic TT races are in place already as a sales pitch.

Are you joking ? I'm genuinely not sure.

Electric cars are obviously tested close to where they are developed. And it's the economics of the US state and Federal tax systems which results in electrics cars being developed in California - and the fact that US tech in general is based there.

This Forbes article about Tesla provides some of the detail.

>... price ... from $62,400 to $87,400 (including a $7,500 federal tax credit)

Tesla ... sells credits it receives from the state of California for producing zero emissions vehicles to other automakers that aren’t so clean. At up to $35,000 per vehicle, it’s a windfall that has helped keep the company alive, according to Gartner analyst Thilo Koslowski. “At the end of the day, other carmakers are subsidizing Tesla,” Koslowski told the Los Angeles Times.

While true until now, Tesla says those credits will decline as sales spread beyond California and into Europe. In the first quarter, Tesla said credits sold to other automakers amounted to approximately $68 million or 12% of its revenues.

Maybe I was too broad with my use of the word testing.

I wasn't meaning necessarily that we have a factory and a load of boffins taking tests.

I seem to recall a few years ago that Honda left the TT travelling marshals the bikes for a year and then took them back for diagnostics to see how they coped with it.

In this early stage for electric cars the main criticism laid against them as an option is the distance not being good enough for UK travel - something that is not really an issue here. I'd have thought a big company or the govt would have seized on that.

the rock don't own the sea so would have to go through Westminster

No. Purchased in 1991.

http://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/infrastructure/harbours/territorial-seas/

its still sovereign territory and falls under the uks exclusive economic zone

You said "rock don't own". Govt says it does. I appreciate the whole caboodle comes under British sovereignty but if IOM bought the sea (stupid notion of ownership anyway!) why can it not now be exploited and if it can't what hoops do we need to jump through to do so?

its complex that's for sure but under the reciprocal legislative bill the UK have the final say and it still comes under crown ownership, it looks like the manx have leased various rights?( but still have to go through Westminster)

its complex that's for sure but under the reciprocal legislative bill the UK have the final say and it still comes under crown ownership, it looks like the manx have leased various rights?( but still have to go through Westminster)

So that's like I sell you my bike but reserve the right to tell you that you can't ride it. w00t.gif

So that's like I sell you my bike but reserve the right to tell you that you can't ride it. :w00t:
The Crown probably owns your bicycle really (ETA :) ). It owns my back garden AFAIK.

So that's like I sell you my bike but reserve the right to tell you that you can't ride it. w00t.gif
The Crown probably owns your bicycle really (ETA smile.png ). It owns my back garden AFAIK.

So next thing you know the bloody queen is going to want a ride.

The Crown probably owns your bicycle really (ETA smile.png ). It owns my back garden AFAIK.

So next thing you know the bloody queen is going to want a ride.

is the rent still been paid for the island?

which ever way you look at it 800k invested for a 2m return over 20+ years is poor

Archived