Well done, Nestle

Nestle, the world's largest food company, has become the first major manufacturer to say it will pay the living wage to all its staff.

The firm already pays the living wage to its 8,000 employees but Nestle says it will now extend this to its 800 contractors by the end of 2017.

"We know that this is the right thing to do," the firm said in a statement.

The living wage is based on the amount an individual needs to earn to cover the basic costs of living.

Living costs vary in different parts of the country so there is a different rate for London and the rest of the UK.

The living wage is now set at £8.80 an hour in London and £7.65 an hour elsewhere.

By comparison, the national minimum wage is significantly lower. Since 1 October, 2013, the national minimum wage has been £6.31 an hour for adults aged 21 and over, and £5.03 for those aged 18 to 21.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28082787

A sign of things to come? Even if companies start doing this as a calculated PR stunt, it's still got to be good. I think this is the right way for things to happen. Companies should do it themselves. If government forced it on the companies then they would just move their operations elsewhere. I hope other companies will follow suit.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nestle have always paid good money, unfortunately they have got rid of 1000's of staff through mechanization. the areo plant used to employ 600 now down to 20 staff

You'd have thought all this automation and mechanisation would mean human beings having easier lives, being able to work less hours, and have cheaper goods; yet always they're seeking more and more profit, pushing to take away more and more of our rights, and the cost of living goes up up up and away. Anyone would think the game was rigged.

Less hours? Likely less pay. But at least they have more spare time in which to ponder their poverty.

I meant people in general. It was supposed to free us up as a society to be able to enjoy life more, only work a few hours a day, and get machines or robots to do all the dirty work while we write sonnets and go on picnics.

Nestle, the world's largest food company, has become the first major manufacturer to say it will pay the living wage to all its staff.

The firm already pays the living wage to its 8,000 employees but Nestle says it will now extend this to its 800 contractors by the end of 2017.

"We know that this is the right thing to do," the firm said in a statement.

The living wage is based on the amount an individual needs to earn to cover the basic costs of living.

Living costs vary in different parts of the country so there is a different rate for London and the rest of the UK.

The living wage is now set at £8.80 an hour in London and £7.65 an hour elsewhere.

By comparison, the national minimum wage is significantly lower. Since 1 October, 2013, the national minimum wage has been £6.31 an hour for adults aged 21 and over, and £5.03 for those aged 18 to 21.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28082787

A sign of things to come? Even if companies start doing this as a calculated PR stunt, it's still got to be good. I think this is the right way for things to happen. Companies should do it themselves. If government forced it on the companies then they would just move their operations elsewhere. I hope other companies will follow suit.

TJ, your innocently naive view of the world never ceases to amuse :) As was already pointed out, Nestle is a lot of things but not a nice company.

Archived