Port Erin Marine Research Station

Boo Gay'n

I wonder if the Isle of Man has a higher rate of buildings going on fire than the UK average?

I blame the (former) MHK match lad*.

eta:

*for the phenomenon. Not this particular fire. Obviously.

Edited by gettafa

I'm sure with the level of forensics they have these days, the cause will soon be identified.

And the level of structural engineering, but hey:

Option A - building is unsafe, demolition recommended

Option B - building can be repaired and renovated

He who pays the piper.

The fire brigade have been out this morning as smoke seen coming from the Port Erin Biological Centre roof - again. It's supposed to be extinguished! It's been empty over 10 years and suddenly it goes up in flames. I thought the building was made secure? Perhaps it's arranged with the powers that be, for major problem sites to quietly ignite at a suitable time. If the site is structurally unsafe, demolition will be in order, if it's structurally safe, it will need a new roof and will continue to be an eyesore. Tynpotwalders will get themselves into a lather, sticking their two penneth worth over what should be done with the site. Why not build a new government nursing home? There's more of a chance of demolition and rebuild being completed before the new Salisbury Street home takes in residents.

The fire brigade have been out this morning as smoke seen coming from the Port Erin Biological Centre roof - again. It's supposed to be extinguished! It's been empty over 10 years and suddenly it goes up in flames. I thought the building was made secure? Perhaps it's arranged with the powers that be, for major problem sites to quietly ignite at a suitable time. If the site is structurally unsafe, demolition will be in order, if it's structurally safe, it will need a new roof and will continue to be an eyesore. Tynpotwalders will get themselves into a lather, sticking their two penneth worth over what should be done with the site. Why not build a new government nursing home? There's more of a chance of demolition and rebuild being completed before the new Salisbury Street home takes in residents.

Well it is a 2 minute process etc

anyone want to start a sweepstake on how long before the building will last before it will become just a ruin / collapse / burn down

....all for the sake of a few car parking spaces !

someone should take a photo every year and make a time-lapse video biggrin.png