Port Erin Marine Research Station

Boo Gay'n

I was striding pink dogfully along the Raad ny Foillan a few weeks ago and saw the research station from above.  Those southern teenage vandals did a proper job - most of the roof has gone, the weather will be doing its worst and presumably all that can now happen is 'knock down and rebuild'.  Shame on you Spuan Juan.

2 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I was striding pink dogfully along the Raad ny Foillan a few weeks ago and saw the research station from above.  Those southern teenage vandals did a proper job - most of the roof has gone, the weather will be doing its worst and presumably all that can now happen is 'knock down and rebuild'.  Shame on you Spuan Juan.

Why is he being blamed ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

How did Juan get it blocked?

The decision to deny the planning for that was utterly absurd, everyone knows that, but I thought it was the moronic commissioners rather than Juan who opposed it? 

Think it was commissioners because of the oversized car park plans taking all the existing grassed area. 

I didn't look at the plans but I thought (as it was explained to me by someone i thought was better informed) that they wanted to put a two story car park on the DOT/DOI land at the end that was offered as part of the sale and that was what the objection was about. 

10 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I didn't look at the plans but I thought (as it was explained to me by someone i thought was better informed) that they wanted to put a two story car park on the DOT/DOI land at the end that was offered as part of the sale and that was what the objection was about. 

Yes, it was going to ruin the aesthetic beauty of the rundown, derelict area it currently is.

Edited by Lxxx
spelling
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

11 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Why is he being blamed ?

11 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I stand by my OP dilli

Fair enough.

The next time he steps out in front of me on my pushbike I won't apply the brakes.

I always wondered about the positioning of the Biological Station. The tanks were ventilated by pumping in "fresh" seawater. However the PE sewage outfall was just behind Kione ny Garee.....

Don't eat the filter feeders!

Port Erin used to produce the best and biggest crabs ever. Some might remember Mabel Moore's cafe on the lower promenade, where in front she had a pot boiler that the crabs would be freshly cooked in.

The crabs were lifted from the very vicinity around the raw sewer outlet. The waters around Port Erin were fertile indeed. But I suppose that was back in the days before we put shite - I mean real shite - such as chemicals, plastics etc down the bog.

Human waste has been flowing into the sea for millennia and yet now we insist it shouldn't be done. A factor that seems to be overlooked when we wonder why there are so few herring and cod etc in our waters.

• Like 1

The island is crying out for a decent café with a good sea view.

We really don't have many and that spot is Port Erin has a fantastic view.

Apart from The Sound and maybe Bradda Glen, There are no "decent" cafes that I can think of with a good view.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Apart from The Sound and maybe Bradda Glen, There are no "decent" cafes that I can think of with a good view.

A decent facility at the Point of Ayre I reckon would be a winner.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, finlo said:
10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

A decent facility at the Point of Ayre I reckon would be a winner.

Correct.

Same old story though. 

Gov sell off every fucking building that could be used for locals and tourists alike. I would love to see how the sales are overseen.:o

Edited by dilligaf