Port Erin Marine Research Station

Boo Gay'n

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:10 AM, craggy_steve said:
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:28 PM, dilligaf said:

A "Greasy Spoon" at best. ?

It always reminds me of the caravan that used to be just outside Lancaster, near the Gypsy place, that served great grub to us truckers, back in the day.

Not what is wanted these days though, quality premises, quality food and quality outlook is the least that folk want.

It's certainly not a greasy spoon, although the greasy spoon cafés on the island seem to do OK. As for whether it is what is wanted - not by you perhaps but clearly by the many loyal customers who keep returning to it and recommending it. Horses for courses, diversity in a free market etc.

I now withdraw the Greasy Spoon remark, as I was down there today and thought the service was first class and nothing could be faulted.:thumbsup:

I now class it as a good café with great service, but The Sound and Bradda are IMO better. :)

• Like 1

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=42371&headline=Port Erin Marine Biological Station bought by developer&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2018

Sold for £500,000. It remains to be seen whether Government, Vested Interests,  Trumpton  Commissioners or Planning, put a halt on the development. I reckon Planning will try and wreck things, followed by the Commissioners. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

They're all dickheads in that list, if they'd not been so daft last time it would probably be finished by now.

I Agree, and they (IOMG) may have got more money for the hard pressed taxpayers. I think the new developer has got a good purchase. I only hope their not shafted by the usual suspects.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

I Agree, and they (IOMG) may have got more money for the hard pressed taxpayers. I think the new developer has got a good purchase. I only hope their not shafted by the usual suspects.

Now that Spuan Juan spends his time mollying around in wig and tights, there is more chance that something will happen on the site.  Sadly in some ways it is likely to be a knock down and rebuild project, but that is necessary sometimes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

They will be. At half a million for that site I’d say a lot of potential shafting has been priced in to the purchase price. 

• Thanks 2

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/economic-benefit-of-plans-massive-says-dfe-minister/

Skelly bullshit in full mode. The Chinese 6 Banks were supposed to be biggest thing since sliced bread. Granted it will be great if a) it gets planning permission without having to perform more tricks than a seal, b) it’s got the funding and c) it actually goes ahead and a and b are fulfilled.

It will benefit the locality of Port Erin and for Skelly to start harrumphing and his triumphalism is sad and indicative of a Government which has lost the plot. I’m afraid Skelly will rush release these kinds of press releases if any form of Government land is sold or transferred to the private sector, to alleviate any personal criticism of him and his department. 

Lets be realistic, us taxpayers sold it for something rather than nothing. The developer if a and b work out, will get a very good buy. We could have had it sold ages ago, with some progress being achieved with the site. Can the Minister assure the public and taxpayers that Government and the Commissioners will guarantee permissions will be secured? Or will the usual Manx way ensure - parking issues etc rule the day? Success can be measured when the work is completed and the operation is making money.

• Like 2

Planning are too busy writing letters about garden fences which is about the breadth of their talent ! I hope someone gets hold of these dicks and explains that the island needs development and employment not petty fences for investors to jump over FFS !!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, asitis said:

Planning are too busy writing letters about garden fences which is about the breadth of their talent ! I hope someone gets hold of these dicks and explains that the island needs development and employment not petty fences for investors to jump over FFS !!

Spot on , in my experience the Planing Dept will swallow a horse but choke on a fly and some decisions  I find difficult to comprehend  (I have some 'Planning' enforcement experience , albeit  "across").

Some folk in CS/LG seem only capable of dealing with trivia , and a refusal , in the hope that an applicant will 'go away'  will justify their employment .

I remember being told "Decision to do nothing is still a decision "

Is it 'custom and practice' in the event of a Planning appeal for the Department to be represented by someone other than the Planning Officer involved in the decision..... anyone?

Having purchased the place on "mixed" use what's the betting it ends up all apartments?

Not a very attractive site though. Cliffs behind and facing north. I trust public access will continue to the ruined breakwater....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Having purchased the place on "mixed" use what's the betting it ends up all apartments?

Not a very attractive site though. Cliffs behind and facing north. I trust public access will continue to the ruined breakwater....

It will be like mixed veg, a mixture of commercial, retail, bar/restaurant and visitor/ clients accommodation from what was mentioned. I think it would be mad to focus on apartments as who would live there in the winter? Bleak! If this development falls through then it will be years and years before anything occurs there. I think the taxpayers will end up paying a developer to take the site and paying them to develop it.

On 8/16/2018 at 10:03 PM, thesultanofsheight said:

They will be. At half a million for that site I’d say a lot of potential shafting has been priced in to the purchase price. 

How many MARS pay-offs can you get for half a million?

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

It will be like mixed veg, a mixture of commercial, retail, bar/restaurant and visitor/ clients accommodation from what was mentioned.

....like the latter proposals for Callow's Yard then.....?

Skelly said "It could be good for the whole Island"....

I know what would be good for the whole Island that would involve L. Skelly....

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4