Port Erin Marine Research Station

Boo Gay'n

3 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

Do those two geese still live there ?  Will defa or the wildlife gang look after them, whose going to re home them, joking aside just get it built and bring some life back down south.

This will affect the rundown nature of the area, thus causing misery to some of the locals whose only desire is a return to the squalor of the 1890's. :stupid:

Bring it on - along with a new Golf Links hotel.

Edited by GD4ELI
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2019 at 9:21 PM, Gizo said:

http://www.porterin.gov.im/s.nl/sc.15/category.5/ctype.SS/SS.5/.f

new plans

restaurant, exhibition area (I dunno) 159 car spaces, retail and apartments.

would love to see this area rejuvenated, Port Erin needs investment, it’s slowly happening. It’s got the best beach and has brilliant summer evenings (winter is a shit however). Needs one good restaurant, glad we have Little Fish but PE needs more to create that spark. 

Port Erin beach WAS wonderful, sadly ruined as continuous ploughing by the comissioners has spread tons of stones all over it.

31 minutes ago, hagar the horrible said:

Port Erin beach WAS wonderful, sadly ruined as continuous ploughing by the commissioners has spread tons of stones all over it.

This can also happen with high tides and wind - seen exactly the same down here without anyone mucking about on the beach with tractors...

5 hours ago, hagar the horrible said:

Port Erin beach WAS wonderful, sadly ruined as continuous ploughing by the comissioners has spread tons of stones all over it.

Please explain.

stony at the cosy nook end, sandy at the Toot end.  As it’s always been..

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

Please explain.

stony at the cosy nook end, sandy at the Toot end.  As it’s always been..

There is much more stone at the Toot end in recent years, in my opinion due to the commissioners raking the the beach, over the past few years they have transported tons of sand from the Toot end to the Cosy Nook end using a digger, tractor and trailer, I used to live on Port Erin beach in the mid to late 50's, and I don't remember any stones between the stream and and the flight of steps at the Toot end, we had to cross over the stream to get stones to decorate sandcastles.

Edited by hagar the horrible

To be fair, that is the most times I have seen "the Toot" mentioned in a post.

Etymologically 'the 'tute' as a contraction of The George Herdman Institute

(eta, Sorry,  as has already been pointed out at top of page by hagar)

Edited by gettafa

2 hours ago, hagar the horrible said:

There is much more stone at the Toot end in recent years, in my opinion due to the commissioners raking the the beach, over the past few years they have transported tons of sand from the Toot end to the Cosy Nook end using a digger, tractor and trailer, I used to live on Port Erin beach in the mid to late 50's, and I don't remember any stones between the stream and and the flight of steps at the Toot end, we had to cross over the stream to get stones to decorate sandcastles.

I’ve never seen them transport sand over, seen them rake the seaweed up and taken away. You may be right there are more stones on the other side of the stream though. How about the possible reason that the old breakwater is definitely sinking, and this could be causing the further drift? 

And, does anyone really know how many flights of steps on the wall goes down on the beach side? 

• 3 years later...