Port Erin Marine Research Station

Boo Gay'n

There yesterday and the slip road up that you used to have to drive to get to the end is now blocked off. It is two way now in front of the lifeboat house. 
The trucks said asbestos removal, but there workers on site were not in protective gear or the skips were not covered to prevent airborne waste. Hope some monitoring is happening. Asbestos is terrible stuff and there is enough wind in that corner to carry disturbed material far and wide.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I'm all for redeveloping the area, but that is fvvcking horrible imho.

Haven’t had time to look at the plans but hope they have made provision for copious sea gull poo! 
More seriously, there is a big water course down the hill behind - bit of rain and it floods. Where is that going? And where will the entry to the coastal track be? It is currently horrible.

55 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Haven’t had time to look at the plans but hope they have made provision for copious sea gull poo! 
More seriously, there is a big water course down the hill behind - bit of rain and it floods. Where is that going? And where will the entry to the coastal track be? It is currently horrible.

Download the brochure, you'll see everything.

52 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Window cleaning companies will be rubbing their hands with glee!

Back in the day, working on a building in Brighton, with seagulls nesting nearby and aggressive. A roofer was cutting felt with a stanley knife when he was swooped down upon, he ended up slicing his hand. I'm with the ganger nearby, he comes over with a nasty wound.

Roofer "Fvvcking seagulls"

Ganger "What, they tooled up now, are they?"

As I said, while I'm not against developing that site, the plan looks to over-develop it, imho. Not sympathetic to the position either, albeit I'm not sure what would be, tbh.  Agree with you about the current entry to the coastal path,but then in the site owners interests to run everything down so generally people say, "Well, anythings better then this". I trust accessing  the path won't feel like trespassing, in the future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Window cleaning companies will be rubbing their hands with glee!

Back in the day, working on a building in Brighton, with seagulls nesting nearby and aggressive. A roofer was cutting felt with a stanley knife when he was swooped down upon, he ended up slicing his hand. I'm with the ganger nearby, he comes over with a nasty wound.

Roofer "Fvvcking seagulls"

Ganger "What, they tooled up now, are they?"

As I said, while I'm not against developing that site, the plan looks to over-develop it, imho. Not sympathetic to the position either, albeit I'm not sure what would be, tbh.  Agree with you about the current entry to the coastal path,but then in the site owners interests to run everything down so generally people say, "Well, anythings better then this". I trust accessing  the path won't feel like trespassing, in the future.

Not sympathetic? Nice, modern design, probably very energy efficient. I expect considerable demand.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Not sympathetic? Nice, modern design, probably very energy efficient. I expect considerable demand.

I think it's an over-development, but as I said, it's subjective.

It'll be interesting to see what percentage of inhabitants live there full time.

• Like 3

I quite like it, anything’s better than the years of decay that’s been happening down there, hopefully inject some fresh life to Port Iron . Also it’s a pretty good extra rate hit for the village with just a couple of gaps in the prom to fill in now. I believe this and the PSM Bayqueen development will sell very quickly. 

5 hours ago, Cinderella said:

And where will the entry to the coastal track be?

At some point in the distant past I actually read the approved planning and requirements. Do recall provision made for the existing footpath. I recall the amount of hoops they are having to negotiate regarding building times. 

Can’t build on a Thursday because the lesser spotted natterjack butterfly worm is shopping that day.

Cant build on the 3rd Tuesday after a full moon because the green and mustard shepherds orchid is having a snooze.

etc, etc….

itll be years before any of it is anyway near finished. 

• Like 2