Port Erin Marine Research Station

Boo Gay'n

35 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I commented on this in another thread, I agree, the place is a total disgrace. Crappy shops, nail bars and dirty frontages, wheelie bin city, piles of crap. Nowhere to get a cup of coffee even, it's taking over from Douglas as the island's biggest sh@hole!

soup & sandwich in the railway cafe was surprisingly good. Has to be the best bay on the Island though. The commissioners clearly added some plus points on the beach (not sure if the shower still works though), but how did they allow the town to get in such bag shape? Those houses on the run down to the prom would make superb apartments. They all look totally unoccupied !  

27 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

soup & sandwich in the railway cafe was surprisingly good. Has to be the best bay on the Island though. The commissioners clearly added some plus points on the beach (not sure if the shower still works though), but how did they allow the town to get in such bag shape? Those houses on the run down to the prom would make superb apartments. They all look totally unoccupied !  

Nice Bay, nice Beach, Railway Cafe closed. 

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Nice Bay, nice Beach, Railway Cafe closed. 

The best place for food and drink at the moment is Ramsey by a mile.

The Mitre

The Swan

Harbour View

Chingans

The chinese

The Ramsey Park is decent value 

The Bowling Alley

The swimming pool

Mad Hatters

Gophers

The place at the old film studio 

Goodstuff

The Hutch

Court cafe

hillingford

Bourne Plaice

Peri peri

There is literally something for everyone and I have excluded the places that are still decent but not as good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, randyandy said:

The best place for food and drink at the moment is Ramsey by a mile.

The Mitre

The Swan

Harbour View

Chingans

The chinese

The Ramsey Park is decent value 

The Bowling Alley

The swimming pool

Mad Hatters

Gophers

The place at the old film studio 

Goodstuff

The Hutch

Court cafe

hillingford

Bourne Plaice

Peri peri

There is literally something for everyone and I have excluded the places that are still decent but not as good.

Ramsey is the ultimate shithouse!! Who would choose to live there?

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Railway cafe is open 7 days a week. There isa second cafe nearly opposite.

Plus the (above the health food shop) Versa's Brunch menu is excellent.

(There's the chippy, the takeaway by the petrol station, and the subway in Shoprite for those just wanting a coffee). It's a pity the huts on the Shore Road aren't conducive to winter use). 

However, what people are missing is that Port Erin is just a pretty grim commuter village made up of post-war estates and not a destination for a day out. 

8 minutes ago, Declan said:

(There's the chippy, the takeaway by the petrol station, and the subway in Shoprite for those just wanting a coffee). It's a pity the huts on the Shore Road aren't conducive to winter use). 

However, what people are missing is that Port Erin is just a pretty grim commuter village made up of post-war estates and not a destination for a day out. 

In mid winter, I agree (but is anywhere a good day out mid winter?). But I disagree in summer. Last year, any decent day and the beach was mobbed all day and in the evening. But (and it is a big but), local businesses did not make the most of it - yes, there was Foraging Vintners and the Bay and the Pizza place (all doing good business), but everything else closed at 5pm. Night after night, for a very short season. No ice creams. No food trucks. No coffee. Such a pity.

Edited by Cinderella
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Declan said:

It’s nice in the summer when sunny with FV open at cosy nook, ice cream & the takeaway units on the promenade & in the evenings bands playing outside bay , but like most of island it’s grim on a cold,wet winter’s day 

1 minute ago, Banker said:

It’s nice in the summer when sunny with FV open at cosy nook, ice cream & the takeaway units on the promenade & in the evenings bands playing outside bay , but like most of island it’s grim on a cold,wet winter’s day 

The take away units aren't on the Prom. 

It's grim in the summer too if you live there, but for different reasons. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 2112 said:

These apartments are hardly aimed at the local community, and will probably be costly as well, as nice as they are, and a welcome sight as compared to a burnt out shell. It really doesn’t look in keeping with the surroundings. 

but the surroundings are run down 1970s seaside town, surely redevelopment has to be welcomed. I get its all subjective, but we should encourage anyone prepared to put their hand in their pocket.

My biggest concern about the development is if all the people that live in the new building have cars - that's a lot of extra traffic on roads that get chaotic on sunny summer weekends. And I can't see many walking from there to catch a bus or do a daily shop on a winter's day, so they will be almost all car drivers. 

I wonder if there's plans to address that.

• Like 1