Port Erin Marine Research Station

Boo Gay'n

Just now, Happier diner said:

And a great choice of bars and restaurants at great value prices.....😞

I'm on cans of red stripe from the coop and going to order a pizza. The boy is jumping off the raft.

How much you enjoy something depends on how much you remove your head from your ass.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm on cans of red stripe from the coop and going to order a pizza. The boy is jumping off the raft.

How much you enjoy something depends on how much you remove your head from your ass.

Very true, enjoyment really means you value what you have, not what you expect to have. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also amazing was my return to Castletown, where the big screen was on for the rugby

I had no idea it would be so popular. Weather helps clearly, but fucking hell the square was heaving. People down from Ramsey for a group game? I am a massage fan of the square, but this has taken me by surprise. Big events planned for tomorrow I believe, come on down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Also amazing was my return to Castletown, where the big screen was on for the rugby

I had no idea it would be so popular. Weather helps clearly, but fucking hell the square was heaving. People down from Ramsey for a group game? I am a massage fan of the square, but this has taken me by surprise. Big events planned for tomorrow I believe, come on down.

This is really heartwarming to read. Castletown are showing what can be done with the right mindset. I’m delighted it’s taking off.

Compare this with Ramsey town commissioners who voted against a woman who wanted to paint 1.5 metres of a lamppost outside her new art gallery  not only was it turned down (6 against 4) she was derided and made fun of in the meeting. In the end their final comment was that, ‘it might interfere with the electrics’.

For a town, that, without the help of some of the commissioners or the chamber of commerce, has managed to turn itself into a lovely little place with alternative and independent shopping and eating spaces, it’s extremely shortsighted and disappointing  

Funnily enough, it’s always the same six commissioners who vote against anything that might attract people to the town. Weirdness.

Anyway sounds like the Castletown board are more open in their approach  

Edited by Roxanne
Spelling and to add the word ‘some’.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Compare this with Ramsey town commissioners who voted against a woman who wanted to paint 1.5 metres of a lamppost outside her new art gallery  not only was it turned down (6 against 4) she was derided and made fun of in the meeting. In the end their final comment was that, ‘it might interfere with the electrics’.

For a town, that, without the help of the commissioners or the chamber of commerce, has managed to turn itself into a lovely little place with alternative and independent shopping and eating spaces, it’s extremely shortsighted and disappointing  

Funnily enough, it’s always the same six commissioners who vote against anything that might attract people to the town. Weirdness.

Far too much seems to have to happen in Ramsey in spite of the Commissioners. I'm acquainted with a couple of the more "go ahead" members and I know they are frequently frustrated with both their fellow members and the Town Hall (including some RTC employees) in respect of getting anything done, you only have to look at the recent farce over the swimming raft to see where they're coming from.

Let's call it symptomatic of the PS culture so oft discussed...

37 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Let's call it symptomatic of the PS culture so oft discussed...

I think it’s more that the ‘go ahead blue sky thinking’ members grig so much with the ones who do bugger all, that they just automatically vote against anything the others support. It’s personal, it’s petty and it’s not putting the needs of the town and it’s people first. 

But yes, you’re right too that it’s like PS culture in that anyone who comes into the job with energy and experience and a need to do good, is often turned on and stifled the life out of. I guess it makes the others feel bad and they lash out. From commissioner level to ministerial level, we’ve seen it play out in real life and always to the detriment of the people they are there to serve - including the person who makes them feel so inadequate. It’s endemic and it’s damaging and it needs to change.  

Edited by Roxanne
Typos
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

‘it might interfere with the electrics’.

A bit off-topic, but that puts me in mind of an MHK who was shocked that the Isle of Man Water and Electricity Authorities were going to merge. In all earnestness and without a hint of irony he proclaimed to the House "Everyone knows that water and electricity don't mix".