Big Boat in the Bay

dilligaf

54 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

My Taxi driver this morning was quite excited by the first boat in 2 years as he also has a coach and taking them out on a RIB to the Calf of Man for some bird spotting. 

Make the most of our wildlife eh ! who would have thought it ?

Fed up of identifying niche markets to these morons in tourism !

They chant in Gregorian fashion "motorcycles" "Horse trams" "Steam Trains"

Apart from that they haven't a fxxxxxg clue !

4 minutes ago, cissolt said:

A lovely day for it! 

I struggle to see the value in cruise ships visiting, the spend that the government claims is well off the mark.

Well it’s money for the coaches, heritage sites & obviously the RIB operators today & good publicity hopefully 

26 minutes ago, asitis said:

Make the most of our wildlife eh ! who would have thought it ?

Fed up of identifying niche markets to these morons in tourism !

They chant in Gregorian fashion "motorcycles" "Horse trams" "Steam Trains"

Apart from that they haven't a fxxxxxg clue !

From what the Taxi Driver said, it seemed that he had arranged the RIB bird spotting trip.  No govt/tourism involvement. 

Apparently he had a chat with the group to put together a bespoke itinerary.  They said they were Twitchers, so he made arrangements for a RIB trip to the calf.  

Good on him frankly.  He seemed genuinely keen to put on a good show.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, cissolt said:

A lovely day for it! 

I struggle to see the value in cruise ships visiting, the spend that the government claims is well off the mark.

Maybe on their first visit, but if they like it they’ll perhaps have a second visit or tell their friends/family and hopefully they’ll come over for a skeet too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cheesypeas said:

Miserable much ?

My issue is that it's a job retention scheme for the tourism department. 

We should be looking for big spending tourists like golfers, cyclists, car clubs. 

Michael leather was a big cruise ship advocate.....60k income to government from 12 cruise ships.  So that pays half the salary of the director of tourism?Screenshot_20220420-184457.thumb.jpg.b27f199510e28e04a56cab626b334922.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cissolt said:

My issue is that it's a job retention scheme for the tourism department. 

We should be looking for big spending tourists like golfers, cyclists, car clubs. 

Michael leather was a big cruise ship advocate.....60k income to government from 12 cruise ships.  So that pays half the salary of the director of tourism?Screenshot_20220420-184457.thumb.jpg.b27f199510e28e04a56cab626b334922.jpg

To be fair lots of cyclists do come here for various events & loads of car clubs were over last year with lots staying at Comis as the owner is a member of some. Not sure if DFE had anything to do with attracting them!

If you read the document Max linked to at the start of this thread it is full of crap

Things like having Bothys and glamping pods around the island and 500 more hotel beds that need to be magicked out of thin air

They do state that banks are not willing to lend against such builds, hotels and glamping but hey ho its star trek enterprise so lets ignore  the fact that no one can finance their wishes for  a 1000 more bed spaces.

Answers on a postcard to Alf at gov.im  as to why banks wont lend for this type of development on the island??????

They also state that one  of the most important things of this target of half  a million visitors is that.....

THE DEPT FOR ENTERPRISE IS FULLY FUNDED TO ALLOW THEM TO OVERSEE  THIS EXPANSION OF THE ISLAND TOIURIST  SCTOR. AND.... Allow them to train  private business owners  in the tourist  sector how to run their own businesses  .................FFS

No shit Sherlock, I wonder why?   

Edited by Boris Johnson

What are these 500,000 people going to do when they come to the Isle of Man though? Especially if the weather is bad. There’s nothing much to do in poor weather and all the stuff you can do, can be done in a weekend, max. I think the people who remember the island’s heyday, when there were loads of attractions, forget that those things have all gone.  

• Like 7