Big Boat in the Bay

dilligaf

18 hours ago, Chris Thomas said:

the gates are needed in law, and are helpful for other activities.

The real reason is to prevent anybody using the jetty to jump off. You know making sure kids aren't allowed any fun on this god forsaken island, just like they were doing with the Raglan. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Passing Time said:

"the last vessel to be moored in Port Erin was in June 2017, when more than half of the passengers on board chose not to take a shore excursion" - so all in all, a total waste of money. Pretty much like Chris Thomas then...

Go easy now, he's only relaying what he's been told...

44 minutes ago, Gizo said:

The real reason is to prevent anybody using the jetty to jump off. You know making sure kids aren't allowed any fun on this god forsaken island, just like they were doing with the Raglan. 

I'm hoping they don't.  That jetty is used by divers, boaters, paddleboarders etc.  It's not actually that high, so you'd have to try really hard to hurt yourself on it. 

It does make you wonder though.  All these activities being banned that we took for granted as kids and somehow managed to survive.  It seems that people would rather kids be taking drugs, getting offended by nothing and sending naked photos to each other. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

Speaking with somebody who knows what's going on, it appears once again to be a misleading story. Nothing to do with cruise ships more to do with stopping little toe rags throwing bottles and spitting at people on incoming boats

13 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Which section?

If you are wishing to pass time have a look through Section 14 in relation to Port Facility Security.

It is most likely that the gates were added as Port Erin can be a seconded port in case of issues in Peel, for this however a Port Security Plan is required matching the requirements of ISPS Code Level 1, in particular: 14.2.2. 

Edit: Adding these comments by @Chris Thomas also: "Mr Thomas said: ‘The jetty is designated in the island’s port security plan as a temporary restricted area due to the ability if required to land cruise liner passengers by tender." - https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/jetty-gates-cost-the-taxpayer-ps3000-595779

Edited by Manxweegie

Just now, Manxweegie said:

If you are wishing to pass time have a look through Section 14 in relation to Port Facility Security.

It is most likely that the gates were added as Port Erin can be a seconded port in case of issues in Peel, for this however a Port Security Plan is required matching the requirements of ISPS Code Level 1, in particular: 14.2.2. 

To be honest, I'm not interested in trawling through it at all. I now know why they were installed, pity Chris Thomas couldn't be a bit more honest about it...

14 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Speaking with somebody who knows what's going on, it appears once again to be a misleading story. Nothing to do with cruise ships more to do with stopping little toe rags throwing bottles and spitting at people on incoming boats

Certain?  The first (high) pier in Pt Erin has fishing boats and the sightseeing trips landing there.  I know they've had problems with scrotes as you mention and they put some temporary fences in last year. 

The second (low) pier is only really used by people with speedboats to moor on temporarily, usually whilst getting an ice cream or a beer in Pt Erin.  

Edited by The Phantom

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Certain?  The first (high) pier in Pt Erin has fishing boats and the sightseeing trips landing there.  I know they've had problems with scrotes as you mention and they put some temporary fences in last year. 

The second (low) pier is only really used by people with speedboats to moor on temporarily, usually whilst getting an ice cream or a beer in Pt Erin.  

Merely relaying what I was told

56 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Remarkable to think you could just jump over the wall anyway. Next they’ll be puttting up 6 foot spikes to the wall.

Thomas is just another DOI yes man. Too stupid to realise.  

The problem isn't the minister. It's DOI. 

Until it is broken up into It's component parts there can be no fundamental change or improvement. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The problem isn't the minister. It's DOI. 

Until it is broken up into It's component parts there can be no fundamental change or improvement. 

and everyone working in the harbours area  seems to be employed on an interim basis , and I doubt has any proper maritime  port  control related qualifications  to speak of , I doubt weather Port Erin  could be described as a first port of call  on the Isle of Man ,there isn't even a computer terminal  for someone from port health, customs  or immigration   to log onto ,  I think this is another DOI bullshine  story,  a sledgehammer to crack a walnut , some of the smaller cruise ships are UK registered   so IMO  ISPIS  codes don't really apply as they are not   foreign flagged 

• Like 1