Big Boat in the Bay

dilligaf

10 minutes ago, Omobono said:

so where is ISPS x when Hebridean princess  and some of the Caledonian  Mac Brayne  ships do charters to the small Scottish  Islands   and Holy    island , and include isle of man 

ISPS is used there too I am afraid, as someone who has been a crew member of the Heb Princess for 8 months I can advise you of that :) CalMac also follow ISPS in all their ports - to varying levels based at vessel type, size and destinations. 
If you read the document I shared it explains all the little details - basically ISPS is designed as a tool to reduce levels which a ship has to work on and a port facility.

Port Erin has a population of 3,530 (2011, census) while for example the Isle of Eigg has a population of 87 (2005, census). Based on that the probability of unwelcome ingress is 40 x's higher. It is all about keeping the vessel is ISPS Level 1. The gates at Port Erin allow this - if vessels were required to tender there instead of making Peel, it is all part of the Islands ISPS plan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Manxweegie said:

ISPS is used there too I am afraid, as someone who has been a crew member of the Heb Princess for 8 months I can advise you of that :) CalMac also follow ISPS in all their ports - to varying levels based at vessel type, size and destinations. 
If you read the document I shared it explains all the little details - basically ISPS is designed as a tool to reduce levels which a ship has to work on and a port facility.

Port Erin has a population of 3,530 (2011, census) while for example the Isle of Eigg has a population of 87 (2005, census). Based on that the probability of unwelcome ingress is 40 x's higher. It is all about keeping the vessel is ISPS Level 1. The gates at Port Erin allow this - if vessels were required to tender there instead of making Peel, it is all part of the Islands ISPS plan. 

Can I just add i am not defending the spending, but merely providing the international legislation which the Gov is using to explain why it has chosen to do so.

I agree that Port Erin shouldn't be included in the ISPS plan as if the vessel cannot enter/tender to Peel then there are other options to Ireland. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The NPM bigging up the cruise ship ‘season’ with the first arriving on Sunday. According to the overpaid and underworked civil servants, the cruise ship passengers are projected to inject £1.7 million into the economy? Plenty to justify additional IOMG expenditure on ‘gates’ etc.

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The NPM bigging up the cruise ship ‘season’ with the first arriving on Sunday. According to the overpaid and underworked civil servants, the cruise ship passengers are projected to inject £1.7 million into the economy? Plenty to justify additional IOMG expenditure on ‘gates’ etc.

What’s the problem, it’s good news surely that tourists are visiting island or don’t you like them?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

What’s the problem, it’s good news surely that tourists are visiting island or don’t you like them?

Anything that interferes with the opinion that 2112 has, that everything government, civil servants, Manx Radio does is shit upsets them.

Bad news only please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

38 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Anything that interferes with the opinion that 2112 has, that everything government, civil servants, Manx Radio does is shit upsets them.

Bad news only please.

It is good news. However I always wonder how we know how much they spend. I mean they will be all inclusive on the boat so will have breakfast before disembarking. Then they know they will be having dinner back on the boat. So they are hardly going to be shelling out 100's on comfort food in the front porch. So apart from buying manx knobs at out tourist shop what do they spend the money on. I mean that's a lot of Manx knobs I think many do excursions to the wheel etc. But again

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It is good news. However I always wonder how we know how much they spend. I mean they will be all inclusive on the boat so will have breakfast before disembarking. Then they know they will be having dinner back on the boat. So they are hardly going to be shelling out 100's on comfort food in the front porch. So apart from buying manx knobs at out tourist shop what do they spend the money on. I mean that's a lot of Manx knobs I think many do excursions to the wheel etc. But again

And still no felt museum... disgraceful. I wonder if they'll be doing guided tours of the new prom? Maybe with Chris Thomas holding the brolley....

"No, it's not a roundabout... it's a roundel.", "The BeeGee's... well they were quite famous in the 70's and lived here for a bit.. and they did a version of a song about a boat sinking...no not the Titanic. Moving on.." "No, they're dancers. No there wasn't an accident"

At least the Laxey Wheel will be turning this time.

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

A lot of them go on excursions involving bus, tram, train and the MNH sites, so it will be pretty easy to work out how much revenue that generates. I know that revenue all goes to IOMG, but it is a material part of the spend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It is good news. However I always wonder how we know how much they spend. I mean they will be all inclusive on the boat so will have breakfast before disembarking. Then they know they will be having dinner back on the boat. So they are hardly going to be shelling out 100's on comfort food in the front porch. So apart from buying manx knobs at out tourist shop what do they spend the money on. I mean that's a lot of Manx knobs I think many do excursions to the wheel etc. But again

My guess is fridge magnets.

We were on pole to miss the TT while an American cruise ship was in the bay. Their pax had to cross from the terminal through the flood of incoming bikers to make it to their tenders and back to the ship. It was a shambles. Bikes then yanks. Bikes then yanks. Bikes etc. You couldn't claim it had been badly organised because clearly there wasn't any.

Anyway, the ONLY purchase on show was some chap pitched up carrying a large green suitcase.

That was it. Go figure...

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

We were on pole to miss the TT while an American cruise ship was in the bay. Their pax had to cross from the terminal through the flood of incoming bikers to make it to their tenders and back to the ship. It was a shambles. Bikes then yanks. Bikes then yanks. Bikes etc. You couldn't claim it had been badly organised because clearly there wasn't any.

Anyway, the ONLY purchase on show was some chap pitched up carrying a large green suitcase.

Kippers? Stitched up like one more like.

47 minutes ago, Nellie said:

A lot of them go on excursions involving bus, tram, train and the MNH sites, so it will be pretty easy to work out how much revenue that generates. I know that revenue all goes to IOMG, but it is a material part of the spend.

What about the spending within the local economy, the local shopkeepers? If IOMG is controlling passengers excursions, from transport through to the MNH site, is there an opportunity for other local traders to gain? Other than if passengers don’t go on a IOMG arranged excursion, and they independently go along Strand Street. Maybe some of the passengers who visit Castle Rushen spend loads of money within Castletown? Or is it visit a site, back on the bus to visit another MNH attraction, and passengers can have food and drink at the cafe within MNH attractions.

44 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Sounds like Derek Trotter.