Big Boat in the Bay

dilligaf

I asked a cruise passenger what the boat charged them once.

it was in the triple figures in Dollars for a trip up the Mountain, coach transfer from the boat to the tram terminal and back to the boat terminal.

Cruise ships make a big thing of 'don't be late back' so all the fat, lazy Americans DO NOT wander more than 50 yards from the boat or supplied transport.

They have spent upwards of $150 to get to see a tram or old castle so DO NOT spend anything else when they can get the food and drink they have paid for back on the boat.

They won't go into local cafes because they are told on the boat that 'if you sit down they charge you extra'.

They DO NOT buy paintings, jewellery or even fridge magnets!  

Cruise boats do not top up on supplies when here.

Cruise passenger money stays with the cruise company.  They work hard at making that the case.  They obtain massive discounts for entry to 'attractions' and transport by telling their locations that their passenger will pay good money when they are ashore.  They don't.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What gets me about this sort of nonsense is that it's not even remotely plausible in its own terms.  According to that piece:

Cruise passengers will bring around £1.7m to the Isle of Man in the coming months.

The Department for Enterprise says it's expecting 18,000 visitors to come ashore from cruise liners this summer, with the first passengers arriving on the 'Spitsbergen' this Sunday.

But a quick bit of arithmetic will show that this means that they expect each and every one of those 18,000 to spend just under £1,000 each when here.   You have to ask why no one at Manx Radio asked the DfE if this was remotely plausible.

But it's even more implausible than that because we know from last year's estimated passenger figures, of the 16,000 or so forecast, that less than 50% of those even landed on the Island (I analysed the figures a few pages back on this topic).  So effectively they're expecting everyone who lands to spend around £2,000.

While cruise excursions are expensive as has been pointed out, they're not that expensive and most of that is actually profit for the cruise ship company and so doesn't get near the Island.

• Like 1

I wonder if Davisons Ice Cream Shop in Peel does a roaring trade in selling ice cream in a waffle cone to the cruise ship passengers?

The sad thing is, the likes of ice cream parlours, tea shops, jewellers, tea towel sellers and the like should have been given opportunities. Or do they not contribute to the economy, whereas IOMG thinks the only thing that matters is cruise ship passengers,

Edited by 2112

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Anyway, the ONLY purchase on show was some chap pitched up carrying a large green suitcase.

I think you've solved it!  This explains the curious wording of "Cruise passengers will bring around £1.7m to the Isle of Man".  £100,000 will be what the cruise passengers spend.  £1.6m will be smuggled in in cash in green suitcases to give to dodgy characters in Athol Street.  It's just like 1970s all over again.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, 2112 said:

What about the spending within the local economy, the local shopkeepers? If IOMG is controlling passengers excursions, from transport through to the MNH site, is there an opportunity for other local traders to gain? Other than if passengers don’t go on a IOMG arranged excursion, and they independently go along Strand Street. Maybe some of the passengers who visit Castle Rushen spend loads of money within Castletown? Or is it visit a site, back on the bus to visit another MNH attraction, and passengers can have food and drink at the cafe within MNH attractions.

Some cruise visitors won't follow the herd, and will do their own research and thing. I have seen that some small local businesses, like Trike Tours, are clearly very busy on days when cruise ships are in, and some taxi, or private hire, companies do pre-booked, bespoke tours for small groups. 

But how much is spent in shops, cafes, coffee shops etc. I suspect involves a lot of guess work.

I have cruised a fair bit, and know plenty of others who have too. I don't know anyone who spends anything like £81 per person, in each port.

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

What gets me about this sort of nonsense is that it's not even remotely plausible in its own terms.  According to that piece:

Cruise passengers will bring around £1.7m to the Isle of Man in the coming months.

The Department for Enterprise says it's expecting 18,000 visitors to come ashore from cruise liners this summer, with the first passengers arriving on the 'Spitsbergen' this Sunday.

But a quick bit of arithmetic will show that this means that they expect each and every one of those 18,000 to spend just under £1,000 each when here.   You have to ask why no one at Manx Radio asked the DfE if this was remotely plausible.

But it's even more implausible than that because we know from last year's estimated passenger figures, of the 16,000 or so forecast, that less than 50% of those even landed on the Island (I analysed the figures a few pages back on this topic).  So effectively they're expecting everyone who lands to spend around £2,000.

While cruise excursions are expensive as has been pointed out, they're not that expensive and most of that is actually profit for the cruise ship company and so doesn't get near the Island.

Roger, it's not like you, but you've got your decimal point in the wrong place. The claimed spend is £81, plus £13 for harbour dues etc.

Still unlikely, but a bit more plausible!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Some cruise visitors won't follow the herd, and will do their own research and thing. I have seen that some small local businesses, like Trike Tours, are clearly very busy on days when cruise ships are in, and some taxi, or private hire, companies do pre-booked, bespoke tours for small groups. 

But how much is spent in shops, cafes, coffee shops etc. I suspect involves a lot of guess work.

I have cruised a fair bit, and know plenty of others who have too. I don't know anyone who spends anything like £81 per person, in each port.

If you have been to Madeira, which is very busy with multiple cruise ships berthed in the port and bay, there are goods which people want to buy to take home. In years gone by embroidery was popular along with wicker ware. Madeira wine people take home. I went last year, and the Cristiano Ronaldo Museum was busy, both with tourists and cruise ship passengers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Roger, it's not like you, but you've got your decimal point in the wrong place. The claimed spend is £81, plus £13 for harbour dues etc.

Still unlikely, but a bit more plausible!

That's what happens when you do the maths in your head for once!

But I can only assume they get to the figure by using the headline tour figure for the cruise and assuming that everyone lands and has bought one.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's what happens when you do the maths in your head for once!

But I can only assume they get to the figure by using the headline tour figure for the cruise and assuming that everyone lands and has bought one.

Stop using a Government calculator.

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

I have seen that some small local businesses, like Trike Tours, are clearly very busy on days when cruise ships are in, and some taxi, or private hire, companies do pre-booked, bespoke tours for small groups. 

Indeed.  I probably posted on this thread a few years ago about similar.  It was not long after covid and I had a taxi driver I was chatting to who was super excited for a Cruise ship coming in and had laid on mini bus, speedboat to the Calf, bird viewing guide etc for a bunch of people. 

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

If you have been to Madeira, which is very busy with multiple cruise ships berthed in the port and bay, there are goods which people want to buy to take home. In years gone by embroidery was popular along with wicker ware. Madeira wine people take home. I went last year, and the Cristiano Ronaldo Museum was busy, both with tourists and cruise ship passengers. 

Cristiano Ronaldo Museum???!!!! FFS.

• Haha 3