Big Boat in the Bay

dilligaf

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

If you have been to Madeira, which is very busy with multiple cruise ships berthed in the port and bay, there are goods which people want to buy to take home. In years gone by embroidery was popular along with wicker ware. Madeira wine people take home. I went last year, and the Cristiano Ronaldo Museum was busy, both with tourists and cruise ship passengers. 

Well I’ve been a couple of times & never bought the tourist tat there, also you must be desperate to visit Ronaldo museum ffs!! We walked along promenade,took the funicular thing up & the basket ride down & walked back.

Lots of the cruise ship passengers here visit the museums including castle rushen, peel etc & not sure why you’re anti cruise ships/tourist.

Guernsey are also going on about cruise ships & there’s not much to see there & it’s a lot more expensive than here

https://guernseypress.com/news/2023/03/24/fewer-cruise-ships-booked-to-visit-the-island-this-year/

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Great attraction, and it was free to me as I stayed at the CR7 Hotel, normally it’s €5 which is good value. 

Read this! 

I stayed at the CR7! Guests have free entrance. Obviously I didn’t pay, but at €5 it was reasonable value, but that’s my personal opinion.

I have taken tours in Madeira and done whale and dolphin trip, again very good value.

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Read this! 

I stayed at the CR7! Guests have free entrance. Obviously I didn’t pay, but at €5 it was reasonable value, but that’s my personal opinion.

I have taken tours in Madeira and done whale and dolphin trip, again very good value.

Did you bring any cake back?

6 hours ago, Nellie said:

Some cruise visitors won't follow the herd, and will do their own research and thing. I have seen that some small local businesses, like Trike Tours, are clearly very busy on days when cruise ships are in, and some taxi, or private hire, companies do pre-booked, bespoke tours for small groups. 

But how much is spent in shops, cafes, coffee shops etc. I suspect involves a lot of guess work.

I have cruised a fair bit, and know plenty of others who have too. I don't know anyone who spends anything like £81 per person, in each port.

We have some excellent IOM Tour Guides (I've tagged along on a couple of them) and they do get an opportunity to earn a crust from the cruise vessels, so that's at least one part of the local economy that benefits.

Sorry, forgot to add the link: https://isleofmantourguides.org/

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 4:11 PM, Mistercee said:

Would it not have been simpler (and cheaper) for the Harbours Division to simply prohibit cruise ships from discharging passengers in Port Erin? 

You are right. That was one option. I think the similar area in Castletown was removed. But some use has been made or might be made of the arrangements in Port Erin. This cost just over £3000.

8 hours ago, Nellie said:

Some cruise visitors won't follow the herd, and will do their own research and thing. I have seen that some small local businesses, like Trike Tours, are clearly very busy on days when cruise ships are in, and some taxi, or private hire, companies do pre-booked, bespoke tours for small groups. 

But how much is spent in shops, cafes, coffee shops etc. I suspect involves a lot of guess work.

I have cruised a fair bit, and know plenty of others who have too. I don't know anyone who spends anything like £81 per person, in each port.

£81 is a suspiciously precise figure if you ask me. How on earth can they claim such spurious accuracy - to the nearest pound?

I'd love to see their working out, I can't see it being based on anything other than wild speculation.

35 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I see bus fares are due to go up again. Presumably to make up for the lack of revenue due to cancelled services while they're too busy ferrying cruise passengers around.

The reduced fare was only for a short period. Let's see how the passenger numbers drop when they go up again

50 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

£81 is a suspiciously precise figure if you ask me. How on earth can they claim such spurious accuracy - to the nearest pound?

I'd love to see their working out, I can't see it being based on anything other than wild speculation.

Extensive fridge magnet sales figures supplied by Laurence.

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Well I’ve been a couple of times & never bought the tourist tat there, also you must be desperate to visit Ronaldo museum ffs!! We walked along promenade,took the funicular thing up & the basket ride down & walked back.

So it's true - you can walk on water!