Big Boat in the Bay

dilligaf

I went to the opticians today...he asked 'what do you see?'.

I said 'A lot of people struggling trying to live, a shit load of English pensioners we've imported since Covid blocking up the health system and buying up first time buyer properties, few tourists, quite a few empty shops, government going bust and pissing away our reserves on themselves'.

'Congratulations!' he said...' you've got 2023 vision!'

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

We do need them. We need people setting foot on island. We need people to be quickly impressed on a short trip so they come back, and so they tell their friends. 

Not quite true though.  If you remember Alfs plan they are going to actively deter any more of us old wrinkles from settling here.

Looking at the alleged income, even with government inflating the figure, the income is negligible. £4.65 per passenger.

Screenshot_2023-08-14-17-18-21-44_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Not quite true though.  If you remember Alfs plan they are going to actively deter any more of us old wrinkles from settling here.

Looking at the alleged income, even with government inflating the figure, the income is negligible. £4.65 per passenger.

Screenshot_2023-08-14-17-18-21-44_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

It’s not just the low spending power, or the emissions and pollution, it’s also the scarifying of the sea bed that these big cruise ships are responsible for. 

About the only good thing I can see from this is people going home and telling their pals about the Isle of Man. ‘Free’ publicity. Only, please don’t come back on a cruise ship.  

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, BillyNoMates said:

what are they spedning here if its just a cuppa and a sarneie not worth it we dont even hav e sourvenir shops so what can they abuy?

They have lots booked on the heritage railways, also castle rushen, rushen abbey etc so lots going into Government accounts which is good news for all as reduces burden for taxpayers, also many local guides get work showing tourists around on trips so good income for them & being mainly Americans good tips probably 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I went to the opticians today...he asked 'what do you see?'.

I said 'A lot of people struggling trying to live, a shit load of English pensioners we've imported since Covid blocking up the health system and buying up first time buyer properties, few tourists, quite a few empty shops, government going bust and pissing away our reserves on themselves'.

'Congratulations!' he said...' you've got 2023 vision!'

good job you didn't need a doctor , a trip to A and E or a dentist  ,imagine what its going to be like when Alf grown the population by another 15,000  quality of life down the pan , its bad enough now !

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Banker said:

They have lots booked on the heritage railways, also castle rushen, rushen abbey etc so lots going into Government accounts which is good news for all as reduces burden for taxpayers, also many local guides get work showing tourists around on trips so good income for them & being mainly Americans good tips probably 

Is it though?...cruise lines make a fortune pre-booking tickets and charging their own premium.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

We do need them. We need people setting foot on island. We need people to be quickly impressed on a short trip so they come back, and so they tell their friends. 

I'm not sure it works like that though.  Partly because the sort of people who go on cruises tend to be the sort who only go on cruises rather than anything else.  After all part of the attraction of a cruise is that everything is done for you, while that's not going to be the case for most visitors to the Island who will be booking everything themselves.

And the other point of cruises is that you get to see lots of places, so those who use them are more likely to think that they've 'done' the Isle of Man than want to come back again.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but on the whole I'm not convinced that they really provide much in the way of marketing - some evidence would be nice.

7 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Is it though?...cruise lines make a fortune pre-booking tickets and charging their own premium.

I don't think many made it up Snaefell today you couldn't see Onchan head for  rain and mist for most of the day  there were a few in the Hospice and other charity shops  today , it looks like the US version of Saga , not a good day for a cruise liner visit , 

31 minutes ago, Banker said:

being mainly Americans good tips probably

Whilst I was conductoring on the MER, at the end of one journey an old fellow (even older than me) pressed a £1 coin into my hand. I did not share it with the driver nor did I declare it on my income tax return.

19 minutes ago, Banker said:

What a crock

This is a boat full of fat american's

Some of these fat american's go for a few paid for excursions off the boat, on your island but spend the minimum because they can gorge food on their ship.

Cruise holidays used to be a class way of travel, they are now "Butlins on Sea" - My parents paid about £7K a cruise for 2 adults and 2 children in the late 70s for a proper 2 week cruise to the Med for 3 years running 

I cant be arsed but that would likely translate to about £30K plus in todays money, this lot are paying a £1grand/ £2grand at most each say £6K total for 2 adults and 2 kids........Do the Math as our USA cousins say.

The average cruise ship passenger is no longer a HNWI as they used to be- pre 80s - they are now mostly just fat Americans that don't spend money on the island , because they can eat all they like in the eat all you like buffet on board.

5 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

What a crock

This is a boat full of fat american's

Some of these fat american's go for a few paid for excursions off the boat, on your island but spend the minimum because they can gorge food on their ship.

Cruise holidays used to be a class way of travel, they are now "Butlins on Sea" - My parents paid about £7K a cruise for 2 adults and 2 children in the late 70s for a proper 2 week cruise to the Med for 3 years running 

I cant be arsed but that would likely translate to about £30K plus in todays money, this lot are paying a £1grand/ £2grand at most each say £6K total for 2 adults and 2 kids........Do the Math as our USA cousins say.

The average cruise ship passenger is no longer a HNWI as they used to be- pre 80s - they are now mostly just fat Americans that don't spend money on the island , because they can eat all they like in the eat all you like buffet on board.

Absolute bollocks, you can go cheap like you obviously would or you can go very expensive or ranges in between, basically if you want a very cheap one you don’t go HAL & there probably won’t be many kids on it. On the man6 new MSC or Royal Caribbean ships they have water parks, ice skating, bowling alley, high ropes etc etc which HAL ships don’t have. Doubt may go on cruises from your residence in Essex!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Absolute bollocks, you can go cheap like you obviously would or you can go very expensive or ranges in between, basically if you want a very cheap one you don’t go HAL & there probably won’t be many kids on it. On the man6 new MSC or Royal Caribbean ships they have water parks, ice skating, bowling alley, high ropes etc etc which HAL ships don’t have. Doubt may go on cruises from your residence in Essex!

Just WOW

Say that again in the Kings English please

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

There's a lot better ways of spending £100M to attract people to the island than on a fancy dock.

I don't think they should spend £100m on a fancy dock. Tenders as now are fine.

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

It's not just direct benefit to the exchequer though, so what if they just have a coffee and a cake, that's another sale for private business when they need every sale they can get.

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

it’s also the scarifying of the sea bed that these big cruise ships are responsible for. 

Hello there

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not sure it works like that though. 

Neither am I, but if you have zero cruise passengers then you have zero chance of it working.

I just find the relentless negativity absurd. Shut down the trains, knock down the Laxey Wheel, ban cruise ships, ban old people, ban the TT, its like some people want fuck all ever happening ever. Crackers.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2