Parking Fines

Lonan3

From Manxradio.com

"It has been announced that no refunds will be offered to those given allegedly invalid parking tickets.

In March it was claimed Parking Controllers in the Isle of Man did not have the legal authority to issue the tickets - and hadn't since 1989.

It could have left the Government with a potential bill of over £3 million.

Now the Department of Home Affairs has sent a letter to all those who tried to claim a refund denying them their money back"

I have seen a letter to a claimant and the government are saying that anyone who paid their fine has admitted their guilt and therefore cannot claim a refund.

It seems, however, that those who didn't do so can not be compelled to pay.

In other words, the good citizens who accepted responsibility and paid their fines are being punished, while those who chose to ignore or defy the law are being rewarded.

Does that seem fair?

as I didn't pay mine it seems good to me!

but no it isn't fair, the whole system sucks anyway so I had every sympathy with those claiming (especially a couple of people I know who were claiming back cos of mistakes made - accidently putting wrong time) their dosh back.

some things (like parking in your own town) shouldn't even be offences.

I'd advise no-one to ever pay, they can't lock us all up!

I know exactly what you're saying. From a legal POV however, the legal cricle hasn't been completed I guess.

i.e. The issuing of a ticket is the accusation of guilt, but that has to be proved, either by your admission (i.e. paying the fine) or by attending a court hearing to contest your case.

But it shouldn't be used by those who have committed an offence and now choose to whinge about wanting their money back due to an administrative technicality. IMO, of course.

Fair enough if you've been ticketed for a parking offence and don't get your money back (myself included). Whether the ticket was given by the right person or not, you've still committed the traffic offense so it seems fair to me that you cough up.

People who've had them issued and haven't yet paid however should still be made to pay, to keep things fair.

I like the system we have here... Much better than in and around Manchester, you have to pay for parking on the street and still get fined if your late.

However I think that they should give you an extra 15 minutes or so before slapping on a ticket, like the parking meters across. Sometimes you might be stuck in a queue or struggling with your kids.

What I can't stand is the 2 hour shuffle in town on work days when people pile out of offices and simply shift their cars around. This simply can't be good for business or the environment... Any one got any ideas on that one?

So will they remove the CCJ I have for non payment of a ticket that I said "I will go to prison before I pay" about?? Doubt it. They took me to court and everything for £20.00 worth it? I dont think so.

What I can't stand is the 2 hour shuffle in town on work days when people pile out of offices and simply shift their cars around. This simply can't be good for business or the environment...  Any one got any ideas on that one?

Yes, I built a small electonic winder with a crystal that automatically rotated the hour dial 30 degrees (one hour) once per hour. Saves the walk.

Fake edit: Oh wait, you mean how to stop it? No idea man.

Yes, I built a small electonic winder with a crystal that automatically rotated the hour dial 30 degrees (one hour) once per hour. Saves the walk.

Like this:

Parkscheibe-gross.jpg

Been around for years and yours for 7 Euros :)

Archived