Israel vs. the rest of the world?

spook

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well if EU law had supremacy over UK domestic law  ( which it did) it’s hard ( well impossible) to argue that the UK had any sovereignty within the EU.

@The Voice of Reason

Yes, it's been hotly debated on here simply because the brexiteers refuse to accept the truth to wit:

The UK held the ultimate sovereignty over the EU by the simple fact that it could invoke Article 50 at any time.

So do so for no reason was just bloody stupid...

12 minutes ago, P.K. said:

@The Voice of Reason

Yes, it's been hotly debated on here simply because the brexiteers refuse to accept the truth to wit:

The UK held the ultimate sovereignty over the EU by the simple fact that it could invoke Article 50 at any time.

So do so for no reason was just bloody stupid...

Except it wasn’t for no reason.

The opportunity, in the shape of the referendum, presented itself for the UK to rid itself of EU supremacy over its own domestic laws. 

It didn’t need any one or more particular issue(s) to invoke Article 50. 

To end the subservience was reason itself.

And the people of the UK grabbed that opportunity with both hands.

This isn't the place for the above load of old.

"Subservience" indeed. What nonsense. Over 60% voted on the issue of "immigration" and it's much darker, unspoken side whereas only 12% voted on "sovereignty" which explains everything really. Especially the constant brexiteer denial...

I've said many times that individuals are allowed to prioritise what concerns them and I do agree a nasty (though small) war where 30,000 + civilians have died is a legitimate concern (Battle of Grozny anyone)

That said, I do agree very strongly the fate of billions living under Islamist puritanism is a very legitimate cause and the bias and ignorance of many of the people shouting slogans like the River to the Sea to this larger issue should be challenged. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

I've said many times that individuals are allowed to prioritise what concerns them and I do agree a nasty (though small) war where 30,000 + civilians have died is a legitimate concern (Battle of Grozny anyone)

That said, I do agree very strongly the fate of billions living under Islamist puritanism is a very legitimate cause and the bias and ignorance of many of the people shouting slogans like the River to the Sea to this larger issue should be challenged. 

True, we should protest our Governments to stop sending arms and funding to Iran.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2024 at 3:39 PM, TheTeapot said:

Four of the remaining hostages have been found. A tiny bit of good news from the relentless deluge of awfulness.

Over 270 dead to rescue 4 hostages is pretty awful, as is using aid trucks as a trogan horse (another war crime). As an added bonus they even killed 3 of their own. They had a peace deal on the table that would have freed all of the hostages and they chose to do this. Sickening.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Over 270 dead to rescue 4 hostages is pretty awful, as is using aid trucks as a trogan horse (another war crime). As an added bonus they even killed 3 of their own. They had a peace deal on the table that would have freed all of the hostages and they chose to do this. Sickening.

Yes well when I posted it it was breaking news and I did mean to qualify it with something like 'it'll be interesting to see what the actual details were'. I'm very conscious of my priors though, and it would have been to easy to say 'the IDF probably killed everyone anywhere near'. 

Its a difficult one, if someone I cared about was being held hostage I'd not give even the slightest shit of the damage caused to get them back. 

You can't just kidnap 200 people. It's fucking horrific, and the consequences were always going to be even worse. I do not support or condone Israeli actions in any way, but I can certainly understand (some of) them.

18 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

How many of the 270 dead were scummy Hamas terrorists...?

What is the "peace" deal on the table? I'm guessing it's a complete cessation of hostilities and the withdrawal of the IDF from Gaza.

Until the next Hamas assault on Israel that is...