Israel vs. the rest of the world?

spook

11 minutes ago, Auntie Depressant said:

And 25000 innocent men, women and children, with hundreds of thousands more, displaced from their homes. 

That's what happens when you're fighting totally amoral insurgents that deliberately embed themselves as deeply as they possibly can in the civilian population to use them as human shields.

Scumbags are they not...?

Edited by P.K.
Typo

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

I do wonder what part of "Don't poke the bear!" is it that they don't understand?

How would you handle the bear kicking your door in and claiming your house as its new den (despite having its own den) and then mauling your wife for telling it to leave?

20 minutes ago, P.K. said:

@HeliX

The IDF estimate they have eliminated 17,000 Hamas terrorists. Good work but it's probably not over yet. Although Hamas has been reduced to recruiting 16 year olds.

Hmmm 17,000 "Hamas terrorists" while killing 40,000+ civilians.

Sounds like the IDF need to go back to soldier school.

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Well, they celebrated the Hamas assault on Israel last year...

Okay? Israelis have a hill they like to watch bombs fall on Gaza from. They have boat tours to watch the destruction from the sea. Does that mean they should be slaughtered in tens of thousands? 

Just now, HeliX said:

Okay? Israelis have a hill they like to watch bombs fall on Gaza from. They have boat tours to watch the destruction from the sea. Does that mean they should be slaughtered in tens of thousands? 

I do wonder if PK loans out his account to Hasbarat when he is at work.

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I take it there were no street parties this year then...

• Haha 1

@P.K. Would I be correct in thinking that you only see two outcomes of the conflict;

Option 1:  Israel wipes out Hamas and Hezbollah and ultimately displaces Palestinians from Gaza and the West Bank and creates one unified Israel. 

Option 2:  Israel fails in its fight against Hamas and Hezbollah and itself ceases to exist with Israeli citizens being displaced. 

Given your positioning so far I cannot see any outcome that results in the conflict ceasing other than the two above. 

My preference would be option 3 which is a negotiated settlement but I know you cannot see that happening and at best it returns to the status quo given that the Israeli Government is currently run by one set of extremists and the leaders on the other side are also extremists. 

• Like 1

There is no discernible, peaceful outcome, this is a clash of cultures, religions and ideals, none of which can ever be defeated because of precisely what they are. Since thousands of years. Both ideals are being externally backed financially, the people on the ground are just pawns and victims.

11 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@P.K. Would I be correct in thinking that you only see two outcomes of the conflict;

Option 1:  Israel wipes out Hamas and Hezbollah and ultimately displaces Palestinians from Gaza and the West Bank and creates one unified Israel. 

Option 2:  Israel fails in its fight against Hamas and Hezbollah and itself ceases to exist with Israeli citizens being displaced. 

Given your positioning so far I cannot see any outcome that results in the conflict ceasing other than the two above. 

My preference would be option 3 which is a negotiated settlement but I know you cannot see that happening and at best it returns to the status quo given that the Israeli Government is currently run by one set of extremists and the leaders on the other side are also extremists. 

As I have posted previously I don't agree with Israeli land-grabs in the West Bank. But then Israel has demolished settlements before.

There are a few salient points to consider.

Gaza is a road to nowhere. Even before the current conflict two thirds of Gazans had little or no food security. So the place cannot exist without handouts. They are all stateless so they are stuck where they are. Like the Palestinians in camps in Lebanon and Syria. Where do they go to from there? Certainly no member of the Arab League wants them. And you can be sure Egypt feels well shot of the place. But a time will come when something has to be done about it.

Netanyahu was a bit silly to say they were going to "Wipe Hamas out" because that would take forever. However they have been severely degraded and that alone is a good result. I understand how people feel about the "civilian" population suffering. But in fighting an insurgency you have no other choice than to root them out. Of course, all the casualties are designated "Palestinians" ie "innocent" because that's what the Hamas run Health Ministry wants folks to think. To swell the casualty numbers and hide the fact that Hamas is taking a battering. And folks believe it because they don't know any better.

Now it's Hezbollahs turn to be in the firing line. Rinse and repeat...

I would like to think there could be a two state solution in the West Bank. But only if a third party was involved in guaranteeing security. Such is the level of mistrust. But with Iran pulling all the puppet strings it's unlikely to happen.