Air Algerie Flight Missing/Crashed

Aircraft crash in Africa ALL the time (it's not the first one this month). Only reason it's on front page news is because "Ooh, it was flying over Mali, someone might have shot it down"

It's embarrassing!

I agree Tarne that African civil aviation has a woeful safety record. Note that the aircraft involved in this accident was operated by a European charter airline, Swiiftair, on behalf of the African carrier. You might encounter one of their aircraft if you book through to the the Balearics with Spanish carrier Vueling, as they operate some flights on behalf of Vueling. I also saw one of their MD83s as I was passing through Gatwick recently. I think it might have been operating for TAP on a Portugal flight.

I agree Tarne that African civil aviation has a woeful safety record. Note that the aircraft involved in this accident was operated by a European charter airline, Swiiftair, on behalf of the African carrier. You might encounter one of their aircraft if you book through to the the Balearics with Spanish carrier Vueling, as they operate some flights on behalf of Vueling. I also saw one of their MD83s as I was passing through Gatwick recently. I think it might have been operating for TAP on a Portugal flight.

And closer to home I am fairly certain I have been on at least one Swiftair IOM flight with Flybe.

Archived