ebola

doc.fixit

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ slinkydevil -----

Re 'a few people in haz suits' :-

I would feel more comfortable if there had been exercises undertaken to trial what actions would be put in place if a suspected or actual case of Ebola was discovered.

This HAS taken place in a number of UK and European hospitals and we should do the same.

At the very least it means that people involved will have had cold runs in order to become familiar with what should be done and there is absolutely no doubt that shortfalls in any plans WILL be flushed out.

Albert, Ebola is different. It has a very high mortality rate, it is highly infectious, and really should be dealt with as a special case here just as is being done in the UK.

There should be 'cold runs' of what would be implemented in the event of a suspected or actual Ebola infection, not only by the NHS but also by other civic bodies including the police and any other bodies who would need to be involved in isolating and quarantining people and places who might harbour infection or infectious material.

Albert, Ebola is different. It has a very high mortality rate, it is highly infectious, and really should be dealt with as a special case here just as is being done in the UK.

There should be 'cold runs' of what would be implemented in the event of a suspected or actual Ebola infection, not only by the NHS but also by other civic bodies including the police and any other bodies who would need to be involved in isolating and quarantining people and places who might harbour infection or infectious material.

Spook - We have been through the highly infectious bit before. There is no significant threat to the Isle of Man at present and it is unlikely that there ever will be unless an outbreak occurs in the neighbouring Islands.

I really don't believe that all the ways that Ebola can be spread have been determined or for that matter been made known. There are now fears that it can be spread by contact with contaminated surfaces and that the virus remains viable for some time.

But that's beside the point. We NEED to have facilities up and ready and protocols in place and 'war gamed' to be ready for what is a lot more than just a possibility.

The costs of doing that and the resource not being needed --- though if there are suspected cases they will be needed even if just while the suspicion proves to be ill founded --- compared to the costs of NOT having the facilities in place and the burgeoning threat becoming a fact and NOT being ready simply do not bear comparison.

Our public health director,Dr Kishore, has already made a public statement that in the very unlikely event of ebola arriving here they have an effective public health strategy in place.

And that should reassure me why?

Because it is a rational approach to dealing with the real risk that ebola poses to the island.

Our medical service have a far superior public health regime,infection control and methodology to dealing with infectious disease than is evident in West Africa.

Anyway,am I wrong in thinking that those of the faith just accepted their fate as the will of their God.

In either of the above scenarios I can't see what you're worrying about.

A modest suggestion. Incoming travellers to the UK from countries where the infection is rife should be brought here to the Isle of Man for quarantine, only getting on the ferry or plane to the UK when 21 days have elapsed and they are judged free of the illness. It's the least we could do, really, for the Mother Country.

I really don't believe that all the ways that Ebola can be spread have been determined or for that matter been made known. There are now fears that it can be spread by contact with contaminated surfaces and that the virus remains viable for some time.

But that's beside the point. We NEED to have facilities up and ready and protocols in place and 'war gamed' to be ready for what is a lot more than just a possibility.

The costs of doing that and the resource not being needed --- though if there are suspected cases they will be needed even if just while the suspicion proves to be ill founded --- compared to the costs of NOT having the facilities in place and the burgeoning threat becoming a fact and NOT being ready simply do not bear comparison.

Our public health director,Dr Kishore, has already made a public statement that in the very unlikely event of ebola arriving here they have an effective public health strategy in place.

And that should reassure me why?

Because it is a rational approach to dealing with the real risk that ebola poses to the island.

Our medical service have a far superior public health regime,infection control and methodology to dealing with infectious disease than is evident in West Africa.

Anyway,am I wrong in thinking that those of the faith just accepted their fate as the will of their God.

In either of the above scenarios I can't see what you're worrying about.

Those of faith as you so pathetically put it don't just care about themselves, if anything we care far more about the welfare of others.

I find the lack of concern about this matter especially the lack of some form of protocol involving all of the emergency and public services that has been war-gamed utterly astounding. This isn't a matter of complacency, it is a total lack of due diligence by those with the responsibility of ensuring public safety.

There have been..

Why do you think the police practice cracking public heads down at the golf links? They're not doing it because they suspect a riot on Whist night down at the Old Mills Tea-room in Port St Mary I can tells yer.

I find the lack of concern about this matter especially the lack of some form of protocol involving all of the emergency and public services that has been war-gamed utterly astounding. This isn't a matter of complacency, it is a total lack of due diligence by those with the responsibility of ensuring public safety.

Dramallama01.jpg

Archived