ebola

doc.fixit

I suppose at the time they said the same thing about the Black Death,that travelled with just ships which were the fastest transport, today we have air travel which is the quickest way to bring it to us.

The British Government is not going to admit any failings on their behalf, because it would cause panic, so they say everything is secure and they are prepared, I remember the mad cow disease performance from a government minister with his own child, but lots of people died from this terrible infection, so don't always take the word of governments.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is any one else as scared as me about the possible spread of Ebola?.......I am quite worried about it affecting us, carried by air travellers particularly.ermm.gif

This is sarcasm right?

Maybe 'scared' was the wrong choice of word, but being concerned is understandable

Is any one else as scared as me about the possible spread of Ebola?.......I am quite worried about it affecting us, carried by air travellers particularly.ermm.gif

This is sarcasm right?

Maybe 'scared' was the wrong choice of word, but being concerned is understandable

Of all the things to be 'concerned' about this shouldn't even register in the minds of sane people.

I did actually hear a old couple in the airport talking about it today off on their hols, in typically racist old person fashion. "Don't be silly dear, it's only a disease those <slurs> get".

Ebola has killed under 3k people since 1970something. You're more at risk of dying of pretty much anything else.

Also it only spreads via contact with bodily fluids. It can spread. The example of the guy on a plane with the diarrhea it brings is a good example, but the risk is orders of magnitude higher in countries with poor sanitation and lacking medical resources so that many people remain in their villages, treated with traditional remedies by family.

Modern health infrastructure such as GP alerts & isolation wards plus simple sanitation means the opportunities it has to spread can be contained in developed countries.

Yes, it definitely can kill people in the UK (the summer press is loving the frisson and extra sales generated by imagining a profusely sweating brown gentleman dripping through Heathrow), but compared to winter flu (1000s every winter) it is highly doubtful it can cause a serious epidemic.

Archived