ebola

doc.fixit

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possible cure by Liverpool Uni.

quote - "Liverpool researchers have made a breakthrough that could lead to a cure being developed for the ebola virus which is currently sweeping through West Africa.

Experts at the University of Liverpool have stumbled across an existing drug – used for severe heart disease – which could be adapted to fight the deadly virus."

I really do hope that there is a practised plan in place to deal with real or suspected cases of Ebola here.

Given the size of the island the need to be able to deal instantly with even a suspected case is going to be essential.

There is no point in anyone thinking that what we have today is anywhere close to what is needed if a suspected or even worse a confirmed case of Ebola. This incredibly infectious disease is something entirely new to anything seen here before and requires new protocols, maybe even new legislation.

Goodness knows the speed that a new 'flu bug can spread throughout our island illustrates how exposed we are to imported infections - and Ebola is no 'flu.

This incredibly infectious disease is something entirely new to anything seen here before and requires new protocols, maybe even new legislation.

Goodness knows the speed that a new 'flu bug can spread throughout our island illustrates how exposed we are to imported infections - and Ebola is no 'flu.

Yes it is incredibly infectious if you come into contact with the bodily fluids of someone who already has Ebola.

You are right it is no 'flu because it is not airborne (see above).

The risk of Ebola spreading to the Isle of Man is statistically unlikely unless we see a major breakout in one of the neighbouring islands. The Government should not be complacent but this is one area where the relative isolation of the Isle of Man is an advantage.

As far as I am aware the only reasons there are cases in the US and Europe are as a result of bringing those who have been infected back to their nation for treatment. Sadly in some cases those nursing them have had the disease transmitted to them.

Spook, I don't belittle the importance of planning and readiness, and clearly lessons have to be learned from the transmissions in the US and in Spain. It might be that the protocols followed were inadequate, or that they weren't properly followed.

I do worry that asymptomatic people will travel, enter an unaffected country and go on to develop symptoms. I wonder whether biomedical sensors could be worn that report body temperature?

Ebola isn't actually incredibly infectious. It requires contact with bodily fluids from a person who is showing symptoms. It isn't infectious during the incubation period when the infected person has no symptoms.So, even if an infected person with symptoms who has slipped through the checks for fever at the airport is sitting a row or two away from you on the plane, you should be OK unless they sick over you or something. Flu is incredibly infectious, though, and can be spread via airborne transmission.

I really don't believe that all the ways that Ebola can be spread have been determined or for that matter been made known. There are now fears that it can be spread by contact with contaminated surfaces and that the virus remains viable for some time.

But that's beside the point. We NEED to have facilities up and ready and protocols in place and 'war gamed' to be ready for what is a lot more than just a possibility.

The costs of doing that and the resource not being needed --- though if there are suspected cases they will be needed even if just while the suspicion proves to be ill founded --- compared to the costs of NOT having the facilities in place and the burgeoning threat becoming a fact and NOT being ready simply do not bear comparison.

I really do hope that there is a practised plan in place to deal with real or suspected cases of Ebola here.

Given the size of the island the need to be able to deal instantly with even a suspected case is going to be essential.

There is no point in anyone thinking that what we have today is anywhere close to what is needed if a suspected or even worse a confirmed case of Ebola. This incredibly infectious disease is something entirely new to anything seen here before and requires new protocols, maybe even new legislation.

A new strain of influenza would be a far more serious public health issue than the threat ebola poses.

I really don't believe that all the ways that Ebola can be spread have been determined or for that matter been made known. There are now fears that it can be spread by contact with contaminated surfaces and that the virus remains viable for some time.

But that's beside the point. We NEED to have facilities up and ready and protocols in place and 'war gamed' to be ready for what is a lot more than just a possibility.

The costs of doing that and the resource not being needed --- though if there are suspected cases they will be needed even if just while the suspicion proves to be ill founded --- compared to the costs of NOT having the facilities in place and the burgeoning threat becoming a fact and NOT being ready simply do not bear comparison.

Our public health director,Dr Kishore, has already made a public statement that in the very unlikely event of ebola arriving here they have an effective public health strategy in place.

You are panicking unnecessarily.

Our public health director,Dr Kishore, has already made a public statement that in the very unlikely event of ebola arriving here they have an effective public health strategy in place.

And that should reassure me why?

Archived