Saudi Arabia - apartheid state we dare not criticise

While everyone is banging on about Israel, I thought this was an interesting article.

For more on modern-day SLAVERY in Saudi Arabia, see also:

Saudi Arabian princess was keeping slaves in California condo: cops.

Meshael Alayban, 42, is accused of offering five women $1,600 per month to come work in America. When they arrived, she allegedly took their travel documents and made them clean and care for her for $200 per month.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/princess-keeping-slaves-calif-cops-article-1.1395843

Saudi Arabia is a destination for men and women from South East Asia and East Africa trafficked for the purpose of labor exploitation, and for children from Yemen, Afghanistan, and Africa trafficking for forced begging. Hundreds of thousands of low-skilled workers from Pakistan, India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Eritrea and Kenya migrate voluntarily to Saudi Arabia; some fall into conditions of involuntary servitude, suffering from physical and sexual abuse, non-payment or delayed payment of wages, the withholding of travel documents, restrictions on their freedom of movement and non-consensual contract alterations. According to international organisations such as Ansar Burney Trust, young children from Bangladesh and India are also smuggled to Saudi Arabia to be used as jockeys. The children are underfed to reduce their weights, in order to lighten the load on the camel.

Quote from the US Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act of 2000:

'The Government of Saudi Arabia does not fully comply with the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking and is not making significant efforts to do so. The government continues to lack adequate anti-trafficking laws, and, despite evidence of widespread trafficking abuses, did not report any criminal prosecutions, convictions, or prison sentences for trafficking crimes committed against foreign domestic workers. The government similarly did not take law enforcement action against trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation in Saudi Arabia, or take any steps to provide victims of sex trafficking with protection. The Saudi government also made no discernable effort to employ procedures to identify and refer victims to protective services.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking_in_Saudi_Arabia

The Saudi Gazette published a disturbing article the other day in which a number of Saudis talked about relations with their foreign servants – and defended what amounts to slavery.

The article highlights one of the many iniquities in Saudi Arabia's "sponsorship" system for employing migrant workers: the practice of confiscating worker's identity documents so that they can't "escape".

The word "escape" actually appears 20 times in the article in connection with workers leaving their jobs – an interesting reflection on the way many Saudis view their employees and the lack of trust that often exists between them.

The article, which is sub-headed "What will happen when you allow your employee to keep his identity papers", cites two examples of Saudi-employed drivers who left their job and took the car with them. (Both cars were later retrieved, according to the report.)

Comments from readers:

"Forcing the workers to stay with you by holding their passport is treating them as prisoners. The suicide rate of most domestic workers could have been averted if they were free to go. The law is a modern day of slavery. Saudi Arabia, citizens have to change such system. It is a shame to force a person to work as prisoner."

"This is perfect example of modern slavery. We Saudis should treat them nicely and, trust me, they are more loyal than our own young generation and trust worthy. SAR 1200 or 1500 ($320-$400) their monthly wages - that's a shame. Will any Saudi work on this wage? Of course not."

http://www.al-bab.com/blog/2013/december/saudi-arabia-defending-slavery.htm#sthash.7szUfyNh.dpbs

I anxiously await a "Freedom Flotilla" to set sail for Saudi Arabia.........

It's their country, their rules, and it says a very great deal about what sort of society emerges from the beliefs that they hold.

What I find so very sad is that there are still deluded people who come out with such nonsense as about all societies and cultures being equal when it is patently obviously untrue.

The people who come from such barbaric places, and SA is by no means unique, under the loathsome Blair's 'multicultural Britain' nonsense are allowed, encouraged even, to continue with their 'culture' even when living in ours that left such barbarity behind long long ago.

Their country - their rules.

It should be a case of our country, OUR rules and OUR rules ONLY.

It should be a case of our country, OUR rules and OUR rules ONLY.

Absolutely Spook, but study the demographics and consider what rules apply when we are no longer the majority. What price the rule of law then? For democracy, for equality and particularly for women? Antisemitism is rife in Europe now, particularly in France and Belgium, with plenty of it in the UK too. It is mainly perpetrated by young Arab and Asian muslims which is often hushed up and, if it is presented at all, it is termed even handedly as "friction between communities" rather than persecution of one group by another. We have imported something as bad as ebola into our society and we are terrified to do anything about it. Our grandchildren, and particularly our granddaughters are really going to curse our folly.

I face a problem in expressing my opinions on this matter because as is widely known (and reviled) I am a devout Christian and I have probably foolishly attempted to express my views and values here far too much.

What I will say is that there is a very great deal of ignorance about Islam, I have myself learned a huge amount in recent times all of which has served to make me become even more fearful of what effect the acceptance of Islam into the West as being just another variation of the "same old same old" will result in when in fact NOTHING could be further than the truth.

I have read views that what has been and increasingly is taking place isn't immigration, it's colonisation, and the more that I consider that the more truth that I see in it.

Where this will go I dread to think, what I do know is that there will be more than tears that will flow.

I face a problem in expressing my opinions on this matter because as is widely known (and reviled) I am a devout Christian and I have probably foolishly attempted to express my views and values here far too much.

What I will say is that there is a very great deal of ignorance about Islam, I have myself learned a huge amount in recent times all of which has served to make me become even more fearful of what effect the acceptance of Islam into the West as being just another variation of the "same old same old" will result in when in fact NOTHING could be further than the truth.

I have read views that what has been and increasingly is taking place isn't immigration, it's colonisation, and the more that I consider that the more truth that I see in it.

Where this will go I dread to think, what I do know is that there will be more than tears that will flow.

Heed the words.

Saudi Arabia is an Islamic State, they have an appalling record on human rights, i.e. getting your hands or worse cut off and if you're a Christian you can get beaten for praying at home

I remember being in Bahrain a few years ago and watching the cars swerving as they were driven back to Saudi after a few drinks

and yes, immigration for low paid jobs is essentially slavery, passports are taken off foreign workers, mainly Indian, when they come to work but also happens in other Muslim countries such as Dubai

yet here they can preach radical Islam and get away with it!

That's because we are soft and stupid in our belief that over a few generations we can bring anyone from any background around to our way of thinking, because our way is simply better. Our leaders do not realise, or at least certainly haven't realised in past decades, that this is not the case. They cannot understand that we have in our midst people who utterly despise our way of life, and who will strive by any means to destroy it. They are motivated, indoctrinated and happy to die to bring this about.

The worst thing, in my book, is how the average Joe can conveniently label several million people with the same characteristics. I can tell you, that a bedouin arab is far removed from the city dwellers who feed on greed. In the same way (to a point) that an investment banker in London with a 250k bonus per year is far removed from a Dales farmworker.

I have sat in the sand with numerous saudis and seen nothing but astounding manners, honour and tolerance. In fact, they were far more accepting of me as a Christian than as an atheist 9which I am in reality).

Like all beliefs, the radical extremists cause the grief for everyone, even if they are a minority.

All valid points. I'd say the institutionalised slavery is probably less to do with religion and more to do with those city-dwellers who feed on greed that you mentioned. I still wouldn't discount the possibility that some of those 1.5 million Bedouin who live there are complicit in it as well. The bottom line is it's real and I want to know why people who are so quick to protest Israel are not protesting Saudi Arabia.

Thomas, that's a very good point, in middle eastern Islamic states generally human rights don't exist so they can (and will) do what they like to their people plus they treat other non-Islamic people who aren't the super rich as second class citizens, at least that has been my experience...

When a country defends itself against a terrorist group such as Hamas they are the bad guys...

Archived