Robin Williams RIP

slinkydevil

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To that I can only add 'Shazbot'. He was a genuine raw talent, one of the greatest of the modern comedy era. It's only a shame that he made so many mawkish films, although there were plenty of good ones in there too. I'll always think of him in The World According to Garp, where he seemed to be perfectly cast; but of course he should mostly be remembered for his electric performances as a stand-up, and the warm and very funny 'child inside the man' character that he played in Mork and Mindy. Very sad news indeed.

His death is such a failure in mental health support. Heck, if he couldn't get sufficient support and mental health care what chance have those who are less materially well off.

Of course, material comfort simply doesn't correlate with happiness - the saddest thing is that so much of his work was all about that.

But my goodness the man could make me laugh & laugh. I'll never forget the absolute glee his manic verbal virtuosity and the out of this world jokes could conjure up.

But he could also make you think with films like Dead Poets Society (and Popeye).

Another person gone who absolutely inspired my formative years, who gave me great happiness and who helped me in trying to understand what life was all about.

The manner of his death diminishes his life. If only we could find a better way to help those in mental despair.

But lets remember the laughs:

A Poem*

O Captain! My Captain

by Walt Whitman

O Captain! My Captain! our fearful trip is done;

The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won;

The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,

While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:

But O heart! heart! heart!

O the bleeding drops of red,

Where on the deck my Captain lies,

Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! My Captain! rise up and hear the bells;

Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills;

For you bouquets and ribbon'd wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding;

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;

Here captain! dear father!

This arm beneath your head;

It is some dream that on the deck,

You've fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still;

My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will;

The ship is anchor'd safe and sound, its voyage closed and done;

From fearful trip, the victor ship, comes in with object won;

Exult, O shores, and ring, O bells!

But I, with mournful tread,

Walk the deck my captain lies,

Fallen cold and dead.

* To give context it's originally about the assassination of Lincoln

Most comedy doesn't mean very much and doesn't really weigh a lot in the scheme of things; but every once in a while a comedian or a show comes along and the comedy becomes life itself. Robin Williams was such a man; and this morning, as the world once again seems to be going to hell in a handcart in the Middle East, we're reminded that laughter is a part of living. He was a special talent.

What a shame. I thought he was brilliant in Good Will Hunting. Some had speculated he had manic depression (bipolar) throughout his life which is different to ordinary depression in that it alternates beteen extremes of mania (happiness, creativity, productivity) and severe depression. I think a lot of talented people have that - a blessing and a curse.

i was like, noooo

Agreed, so sad, he's part of our childhood. Some people die and you're like "meh" and hearing the news this morning, both hubby and I were like "aww" :-(

I was properly shocked to hear this news on the radio today, so much so that I made a point of listening to the news bulletin properly the following hour as I thought I had misheard it the first time around.

Sad news indeed.

Archived