Robin Williams RIP

slinkydevil

I couldn't sleep last night and all bleary eyed looked at the BBC headlines on my phone - I didn't really read it clearly and my first thought was how sad it was hear that ROBBIE Williams had died.

I re-read and only then corrected my (sadly not totally impossible) mistake. My understanding is the chirpie singer also faces his demons. He's had a certain influence on me, but I'm a bit older and so it's far less than his comedic namesake.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fisher King, Goodwill Hunting both fantastic films....Mrs.Doubtfire....not so much, however, he was as mad as a box of frogs and at times very funny....personally I believe he has always been mentally ill...as they say 'behind the painted smile of a clown lies a very sad person' or did I just make that up.

RIP Robin Williams...I thought 'Mork & Mindy' was ace when I was a child 😃

It's a person, in the world, who died. No-one knows him. I just don't get vicarious grief. Lighten up peeps.

I don't think grief is the right word. You're right, I didn't know him in real life, but I knew of his work from Mork and Mindy, through to his later films. Some great stuff in there, as well as the hilarious stand-up. Hearing of his death yesterday didn't cause me to grieve, but I did spend a few minutes clicking on links to his best comic moments and remembering some of his work. I think when a celebrated person dies that's fairly normal behaviour.

Princess Diana - now that was vicarious grief.

It's a person, in the world, who died. No-one knows him. I just don't get vicarious grief. Lighten up peeps.

True but it does raise some interesting issues. For example, I wonder if Robin Williams was on anti-depressants at the time.

SSRIs (e.g. Prozac, Zoloft) and the older generation tri-cyclics (e.g. Clomipramine, Amitriptyline) are known to cause suicidal thoughts and suicide as well as a worsening of depression symptoms. People taking them should be prepared to go through even worse symptoms for weeks or months before they begin to work, and for many people they don't begin to work, so they try you on different ones, which may or may not work, but you have to put up with the increase in suicidal thoughts for weeks just to wait and see if they work for you.

People suffering from depression should seek out natural things like counseling, cognitive behavioural therapy, dietary changes, meditation, yoga, and regular exercise, before they resort to these sort of pills.

I don't think grief is the right word. You're right, I didn't know him in real life, but I knew of his work from Mork and Mindy, through to his later films. Some great stuff in there, as well as the hilarious stand-up. Hearing of his death yesterday didn't cause me to grieve, but I did spend a few minutes clicking on links to his best comic moments and remembering some of his work. I think when a celebrated person dies that's fairly normal behaviour.

Princess Diana - now that was vicarious grief.

I agree. People actually shed tears when she died and weren't ashamed to admit it. WTF?? Are people really that detached from reality? Imagine the scenes outside Buckingham Palace when the Queen pops it! I shudder to think.

True but it does raise some interesting issues. For example, I wonder if Robin Williams was on anti-depressants at the time.

SSRIs (e.g. Prozac, Zoloft) and the older generation tri-cyclics (e.g. Clomipramine, Amitriptyline) are known to cause suicidal thoughts and suicide as well as a worsening of depression symptoms. People taking them should be prepared to go through even worse symptoms for weeks or months before they begin to work, and for many people they don't begin to work, so they try you on different ones, which may or may not work, but you have to put up with the increase in suicidal thoughts for weeks just to wait and see if they work for you.

People suffering from depression should seek out natural things like counseling, cognitive behavioural therapy, dietary changes, meditation, yoga, and regular exercise, before they resort to these sort of pills.

Good point. Mate of mine has been on happy pills for years, his doctor has prescribed repeat prescription since he went through a messy divorce without re-evaluating him. I asked him the other week why he's still on them, said he doesn't know but his doctor prescribes them so he takes them. I asked him how he knows whether he's genuinely feeling happy from one day to the next. Blank face. Says it all. We're a society of fuckin zombies. Any wonder why so many fall off a cliff?!

We know you don't get it. You and LDV seem to have a need to bring this up in every RIP thread. Give it a rest yeah?

We know you don't get it. You and LDV seem to have a need to bring this up in every RIP thread. Give it a rest yeah?

Why? It's my opinion. I am intrigued how ridiculous some people's mental capacity to process information by media is. Yeh I liked some of his films, he's now dead, what's changed? It speaks volumes about how our society has devolved.

Why? It's my opinion. I am intrigued how ridiculous some people's mental capacity to process information by media is. Yeh I liked some of his films, he's now dead, what's changed? It speaks volumes about how our society has devolved.

Because hearing it over and over again in every RIP thread gets a bit old. If you don't agree with RIP threads, why participate in them?

Archived