Robin Williams RIP

slinkydevil

It's a person, in the world, who died. No-one knows him. I just don't get vicarious grief. Lighten up peeps.

We know you don't get it. You and LDV seem to have a need to bring this up in every RIP thread. Give it a rest yeah?
Why? It's my opinion. I am intrigued how ridiculous some people's mental capacity to process information by media is. Yeh I liked some of his films, he's now dead, what's changed? It speaks volumes about how our society has devolved.
Because hearing it over and over again in every RIP thread gets a bit old. If you don't agree with RIP threads, why participate in them?

Because I'd like to be refreshingly surprised one day. I see that day will probably never come. Buy a box set.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lauren Bacall died on Tuesday and nobody created a thread for her. :(

I think it's reasonable to feel a loss when people who are in films die, because to some extent the subconscious doesn't distinguish between what we see in film and what we see in reality (or so Carrie Fischer reckoned in the audio commentary of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back).

Robin William entertained people of all ages. I probably have spent around 3 weeks of my life watching his films and comedy over the years. My parents enjoyed watching him, as did myself and my kids. He was an all round multi talented individual.

RIP threads are started on here, for all kinds of people, by all kinds of people, as a way of expressing feelings. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

If you have nothing positive to add, on the life of someone who probably did little or no harm to others...consider not posting in such threads.

I like Pongo's clip of Robin Williams with the troops in Kuwait. He always did come across as a nice guy and you can see it here: an almost child-like vulnerability; an essential decency, and the post-masculine male trying to make sense of it all. It gave his comedy a lovely pathos from his early days, through the years of battling his addictions and the pain of divorce, right up to the circumstances of his sad and lonely death. I can see it all in his expression as the troops turn away for the salute. Given what's happened this week, the clip is a very poignant memory of him.

It's a person, in the world, who died. No-one knows him. I just don't get vicarious grief. Lighten up peeps.

I don't think grief is the right word. You're right, I didn't know him in real life, but I knew of his work from Mork and Mindy, through to his later films. Some great stuff in there, as well as the hilarious stand-up. Hearing of his death yesterday didn't cause me to grieve, but I did spend a few minutes clicking on links to his best comic moments and remembering some of his work. I think when a celebrated person dies that's fairly normal behaviour.

Princess Diana - now that was vicarious grief.

I think humanity is somewhat poorer for the loss of a unique talent like Robin Williams.

In my view he was peerless and as such will be sadly missed.

I don't think grief is the right word. You're right, I didn't know him in real life, but I knew of his work from Mork and Mindy, through to his later films. Some great stuff in there, as well as the hilarious stand-up. Hearing of his death yesterday didn't cause me to grieve, but I did spend a few minutes clicking on links to his best comic moments and remembering some of his work. I think when a celebrated person dies that's fairly normal behaviour.

Princess Diana - now that was vicarious grief.

I agree. People actually shed tears when she died and weren't ashamed to admit it. WTF?? Are people really that detached from reality? Imagine the scenes outside Buckingham Palace when the Queen pops it! I shudder to think.

Yebbut, if there's a National Day of Mourning, we all get an extra holiday.

What's not to like when Lizzie 'pops it'?

Could do something similar when Andy Carroll scores a goal...

TBT.

Archived