How Nuts Is This?

Amadeus

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2724684/Nut-allergy-girl-went-anaphylactic-shock-plane-passenger-ignored-three-warnings-not-eat-nuts-board.html

Dafuq? Why is it that guy's fault? Instead of the parents being selfish by demanding a whole plane bows to their demands, what about giving the kid a breathing mask or protective clothing? If it's such a risk, it's surely down to them to take precautions. What if that passenger didn't hear the announcements or didn't understand English properly?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a bit hard Amadeus. I think a true allergy leading to anaphylactic shock can easily kill. Ok eating nuts seems harmless to those unaffected but it's hardly something someone has to do to get through a flight. He obviously didn't mean any harm but such actions have consequences which could have easily been much worse.

Would you have been so scathing if this kid had died which could quite easily have happened? Would you have complained if any passenger was taken ill on a flight leading to an inconvenient diversion to an airport where proper medical help would have been available?

Good/normal health seems to be taken too much for granted.

I would hope that out of politeness and good manners the passengers would refrain from eating peanuts. Although since a peanut is not apparantly a nut I am always confused why it can give you a reaction to a nut allegy.

However as the parents of such a child you should plan and expect that others may not meet your request. Either because they simply do not want to meet your request, forget, do not understand the announcement, do not realise some of the food they have with them includes nuts, or they have brought food with them that includes nuts. What do you do if you have young kids with you and have brought peanut butter sandwiches with you for their lunch? Tell them to starve because the parents of a kid with an allergy are relying on the rest of the plane to agree to their request because they have not taken the necessary precautions. What if the previous passengers had left a half opened packet in one of the seat pockets or a family had in their hand luggage?

To me the onus should be on the parents to ensure that the kid is fine to travel if other passengers do not comply with the request and they should plan on the basis they will not. If the other passengers do then great but it should be the parents responsibility.

If the child were mine and had such a marked and extreme allergy there is no way that I would take her on an aircraft. To do so as the parents did shows huge selfishness on their part not to mention stupidity.

I encountered this on a flight very recently. The crew (Aer Lingus) announced it in English and the language of the destination country, and beyond mild surprise I didn't give it a second thought. I slightly doubt whether a peanut eaten in seat 3A could affect someone in seat 20F but obviously they can't identify the passenger in the announcement.

What happened on this Ryan Air flight is regrettable, and I think the action Ryan Air took is reasonable if the nut-eater understood the announcement. The family of the allergy sufferer weren't 'demanding a whole plane', just asking their fellow passengers to refrain from eating nut based products for the duration of the flight. I enjoy a nut with my G&T as much as the next old soak, but I can accept pretzels in lieu if need arises.

Amadeus have you actually read what you've written? are you seriously suggesting its unreasonable to ask a plane full of passengers to refrain from eating any nuts for a couple of hours?

Well I am. Totally unreasonable. The child was obviously medically unfitted fly.

I encountered this on a flight very recently. The crew (Aer Lingus) announced it in English and the language of the destination country, and beyond mild surprise I didn't give it a second thought. I slightly doubt whether a peanut eaten in seat 3A could affect someone in seat 20F but obviously they can't identify the passenger in the announcement.

What happened on this Ryan Air flight is regrettable, and I think the action Ryan Air took is reasonable if the nut-eater understood the announcement. The family of the allergy sufferer weren't 'demanding a whole plane', just asking their fellow passengers to refrain from eating nut based products for the duration of the flight. I enjoy a nut with my G&T as much as the next old soak, but I can accept pretzels in lieu if need arises.

Peanuts with a G & T? Good grief, I would ban you from flying for that alone!

Amadeus have you actually read what you've written? are you seriously suggesting its unreasonable to ask a plane full of passengers to refrain from eating any nuts for a couple of hours?

Well I am. Totally unreasonable. The child was obviously medically unfitted fly.

No, she was fit to fly so long as other passengers refrained from eating nuts and so long as her parents had her EpiPen as insurance, which they did and had to resort to, successfully.

The ability to travel is more important than the ability to eat peanuts at will!

There are other places to visit than those that require travel by air, and even Tenerife can be reached by sea if the absolutely HAD to go there..

The parents have an absolute duty of care not to expose their child to a danger and relying on a plane load of holidaymakers coming back to the UK after a holiday in a place famous for a laissez les bon temps rouler at least equal to that associated with New Orleans to refrain from doing just about anything let alone eating a few peanuts several rows to where the child was sitting is pushing their luck to say the least.

It is also unreasonable for the rest of the passengers.

There are other places to visit than those that require travel by air, and even Tenerife can be reached by sea if the absolutely HAD to go there..

The parents have an absolute duty of care not to expose their child to a danger and relying on a plane load of holidaymakers coming back to the UK after a holiday in a place famous for a laissez les bon temps rouler at least equal to that associated with New Orleans to refrain from doing just about anything let alone eating a few peanuts several rows to where the child was sitting is pushing their luck to say the least.

It is also unreasonable for the rest of the passengers.

Well I would be embarrassed to take that position, and even more so to have to tell the parents concerned. But fine, and I won't try to argue you out it.

It's a double edged sword, I've been on flights where there are no nuts allowed, however, taking your child into an almost airtight tube (yes, it does bring in and exhaust air, but a lot is also recycled throughout) with the air being circulated on purpose, is there not something I'm missing when someone says it's probably a bad idea.

If I knew that due to someone else having not heard, or not understood the announcement regarding nuts, my child/family member/travelling companion could be thrust into a life-threatening situation, I'd probably want to minimise that beyond just asking people nicely. Does the inconvenience of some form of mask not outweigh the risk of inhaling nut allergens?

Archived