How Nuts Is This?

Amadeus

Hahaha, jesus christ that kid doesn't stand a chance. I'm a bit nazi when it comes to this, but just put them out of their misery.

I have to agree with Amadeus, that's retarded parents. If you were that concerned, you'd pre-arrange with your doctor or the airline before hand.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is the consensus that this child can never ever fly in their life just in case someone just has to have their nut fix for the few hours of a flight? Really? Some of the posts on here clearly don't accept there is a life threatening situation involved. It's a bit more than coming out in a rash.....

PS Although English is one of the three languages of Zimbabwe and we give this nut addict the benefit of the doubt (ie he didn't understand a single word of the country he was flying to) some might say he was a further liability as he wouldn't be able to understand the emergency requirements and procedures either. He probably thought those around him were just being awkward as they remonstrated with him in this foreign crazy language as he opened his nuts.

So is the consensus that this child can never ever fly in their life just in case someone just has to have their nut fix for the few hours of a flight? Really? Some of the posts on here clearly don't accept there is a life threatening situation involved. It's a bit more than coming out in a rash.....

PS Although English is one of the three languages of Zimbabwe and we give this nut addict the benefit of the doubt (ie he didn't understand a single word of the country he was flying to) some might say he was a further liability as he wouldn't be able to understand the emergency requirements and procedures either. He probably thought those around him were just being awkward as they remonstrated with him in this foreign crazy language as he opened his nuts.

As mentioned earlier, what if someone had left nuts in a seat pocket? An airplane is not really a safe place for someone with a nut allergy, thanks to the recirculated air. Not to mention that people may be unaware that food they brought contains nuts.

Blame isn't really a factor when it's something life threatening. The person at risk (or their guardian) has to be the one taking the precautions, because they're the one who will suffer. You can't simply put faith in other people in a life or death situation like that.

In my view, yes. The onus should be on her parents and in later life her to ensure that protection is in place to protect her from a normal and reasonable environment and that absolutly shown NOT impose unreasonable restrictions on the general public.

Hahaha, jesus christ that kid doesn't stand a chance. I'm a bit nazi when it comes to this, but just put them out of their misery.

I have to agree with Amadeus, that's retarded parents. If you were that concerned, you'd pre-arrange with your doctor or the airline before hand.

laugh.png

It's quite common for people with nut allergies to travel on planes. Some airlines do not sell nut products at all, others withhold them from sale when notified by passengers in advance and make announcements to the effect that passengers should not eat nut products during the flight, as happened here.

The parents notified the airline and took an EpiPen. That seems reasonable diligence to me, and the airline presumably took the same view as they can (and do) decline to carry some passengers on medical grounds.

It's quite common for people with nut allergies to travel on planes. Some airlines do not sell nut products at all, others withhold them from sale when notified by passengers in advance and make announcements to the effect that passengers should not eat nut products during the flight, as happened here.

The parents notified the airline and took an EpiPen. That seems reasonable diligence to me, and the airline presumably took the same view as they can (and do) decline to carry some passengers on medical grounds.

was the plane cleaned before takeoff? if air particles can cause this reaction then you can guarantee the seats and carpets are full of crud.

was the plane cleaned before takeoff? if air particles can cause this reaction then you can guarantee the seats and carpets are full of crud.

I can only repeat that it is common for people with nut allergies to travel on planes. As I posted a while back, I personally traveled on a flight with an affected passenger very recently and there was no sign of any adverse reaction.

I'm amazed how selfish some people would be towards a fellow passenger when all it would take is to abstain from their nut fix for a few hours. It's fairly clear that the opening of the packet was the cause of the immediate problem. No matter what crud is in the aircraft (and there's usually lots) that's not the cause here. If it was, the kid would likely have had a reaction minutes after boarding where the problem, whilst still very serious, might be more easily treated.

Your apparent selfish way pretty well asks this kid to live life in a bubble so you can do whatever you like despite the consequences.

I'm amazed how selfish some people would be towards a fellow passenger when all it would take is to abstain from their nut fix for a few hours. It's fairly clear that the opening of the packet was the cause of the immediate problem. No matter what crud is in the aircraft (and there's usually lots) that's not the cause here. If it was, the kid would likely have had a reaction minutes after boarding where the problem, whilst still very serious, might be more easily treated. Your apparent selfish way pretty well asks this kid to live life in a bubble so you can do whatever you like despite the consequences.

There's a lot of clear blue water between living in a bubble and expecting other people to join her in a bubble.

It could but she was ok until this fella decided to do what he wanted rather than what he had been instructed to do. He is therefore, on the balance of probabilities, likely to be the source of the problem;

I'm very much for civil liberties and nobody likes being told what to do but as a passenger on an aircraft you have to do as instructed no matter what you might think.

For just a few hours? Why do you have so little empathy? She didn't choose to have a nut allergy or lead some sort of unhealthy life to cause it.

I have sympathy for her, in fact I have sympathy for anyone flying Ryanair. Daft comments aside, as I said in my original post it would be great if everybody was polite and agreed. However that unfortunatly is not the real world and I think that common sense should tell you to expect that occasionally on a flight there may be the odd person, for whatever reason, who does not co-operate. If that means because you have an allergy to nuts or whatever you might have a severe reaction then either unfortunatly you have to be prepared not to fly or ensure you have taken all necessary precuations yourself.

To give the guy a two year ban is in my view totally unreasonable, but then we are talking about Ryanair, especially as apparently his English was poor. If the airlines really want to ensure people with such allegies can fly then they could easily put it in their terms & conditions that nuts can not be eaten on planes, included in hand bags etc and they could not sell.

If the guy who ate the peanuts understood what was happening and carried on anyway then he is a bit of an arsehole, however it is only sensible in my view to travel on the basis that somebody is going to be an arsehole and if it turns out that nobody is then it is a bonus. Presuming the otherway around is only asking for trouble

As above really, you have to take the precautions yourself. BB I'm assuming you ride a motorbike? Do you assume everyone is going to co-operate with traffic laws at all times and not try to kill you, or do you take the precautions to not give anyone the opportunity to kill you?

I know I do the latter. I suspect you do, too.

Archived